Comparison of Certs--which ones are easier, more difficult, more time consuming?

allquietonallquieton Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking at an online program (WGU) for IT/Software. They list several certs that are included in the program. I am wondering how difficult these other certs are, compared to the A+. (I just passed the 801 + 802 for the Comptia A+ certification.)

I want to complete a few more of these certs on my own before I apply, b/c they will transfer. I'm trying to decide which ones to tackle next. Any insight would be appreciated.

  • Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 6 Programmer
  • CIW Perl Specialist
  • CIW Web Foundations Associate
  • CIW Web Design Specialist
  • CIW JavaScript Specialist
  • CIW Database Design Specialist
  • CIW Web Development Professional
  • CompTIA A+
  • CompTIA Project+
  • CompTIA Security+
  • CompTIA Network+
  • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows OS Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Networking Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Security Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Software Development Fundamentals
  • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Database Administration Fundamentals

Comments

  • PsoasmanPsoasman Senior Member Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any of the CompTIA certs would be good to work on.

    The CIW prep materials are excellent, but expensive out of pocket.

    I have not taken any of the MTA exams, so someone else can chime in on those.
  • eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    comptia ones are the easiest and normally good to tackle first too.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found the CIWs easier then the one CompTIA exam I took.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do the 3 remaining CompTIA exams. During the transfer process, a pass in Network+ should also give you credit for the MTA Networking Fundamentals, and Security+ should give you MTA Security Fundamentals. The CIW materials provided by WGU are quite adequate for the exams, so I'd go through the admissions process before tackling the CIW.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    MTA Certifications are a waste of time. If you do the MCTS Windows 7 and MCITP they'll give you credit for MTA's. I only had to do one of the MTA classes and it was a giant waste of time.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    allquieton wrote: »
    I am looking at an online program (WGU) for IT/Software. They list several certs that are included in the program. I am wondering how difficult these other certs are, compared to the A+. (I just passed the 801 + 802 for the Comptia A+ certification.)

    I want to complete a few more of these certs on my own before I apply, b/c they will transfer. I'm trying to decide which ones to tackle next. Any insight would be appreciated.

    • Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 6 Programmer
    • CIW Perl Specialist
    • CIW Web Foundations Associate
    • CIW Web Design Specialist
    • CIW JavaScript Specialist
    • CIW Database Design Specialist
    • CIW Web Development Professional
    • CompTIA A+
    • CompTIA Project+
    • CompTIA Security+
    • CompTIA Network+
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows OS Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Networking Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Security Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Software Development Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Database Administration Fundamentals

    The question "how difficult these other certs are, compared to the A+" is a fuzzy or relative question. If you're going like for like, then they are all going to be of varying difficulty (anywhere from easy to hard). It all depends on your current knowledge and experience coupled with how good you are at studying.
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    MTA Certifications are a waste of time. If you do the MCTS Windows 7 and MCITP they'll give you credit for MTA's. I only had to do one of the MTA classes and it was a giant waste of time.

    I wouldn't say that they were a waste of time, they are aimed at a specific audience - entry level and students.
  • allquietonallquieton Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the info guys--very helpful!
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with knocking out the other CompTIA certs. Then depending on how long that takes you and if you're willing to spend more money out of pocket on certs, knock out some of the CIW's.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I don't understand why people want to do the certs BEFORE they enroll... once you enroll they are free. I can understand studying a bit (with free materials) so you can knock them out faster, but why pay for something that is about to become free for you?
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

    Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483
    Val I agree never understood that either.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Valsacar wrote: »
    I don't understand why people want to do the certs BEFORE they enroll... once you enroll they are free. I can understand studying a bit (with free materials) so you can knock them out faster, but why pay for something that is about to become free for you?


    Because individual certs can waive multiple classes. (at least in my case)

    For example, I transferred in 4 CompTIA certs and they ended up waiving 8 or 9 classes.

    Totally worth it, IMO.

    YMMV
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I think what makes WGU so enticing is that you can work at your own pace and can potentially, if motivated, complete a BS in under a year with transfer credits and certs. So for a lot of people waiving those classes by getting some certs prior to enrollment may be the best option to complete the program faster. In the end we are all looking to get a degree quicker than we could with normal college pacing...
  • amcnowamcnow CISSP, CEH, CHFI, SAFe 4 Practitioner, ITIL v3 Foundation, A+, additional certs for outdated technol Circle CityMember Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Java exam will throw you curve balls at every turn. You obviously need to know the material. With that said, you also have to pay close attention to what is being asked. It's very easy to pick the right answer for the wrong question.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 182 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the new Network+ exam is a lot tougher than the A+ in my opinion. I am currently studying for a multitude of tests and will take a bunch of tests in a row, whatever tests I pass are additional certs to go on resume what I fail I will have to retake. I am lacking in computer certs so I am cramming this summer to get several more besides A+ added to the resume.

    I think the MTA exams are a lot easier than the A+. I have been studying for both the MTA: operating systems and MTS exams. Both seem easier than the A+, at least from the practice tests and study materials I have looked at. I know taking both the MTA and MTS is redundancy, but I don't care the more certs I can add to the resume at this point the better. Having just one cert really sucks.

    I also am studying for the CCNA exam and it makes the A+ look like child's play. I am having the most difficulty studying for this exam and probably will have to buy some CISCO routers in order to really understand the material.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Moon Child wrote: »

    I also am studying for the CCNA exam and it makes the A+ look like child's play. I am having the most difficulty studying for this exam and probably will have to buy some CISCO routers in order to really understand the material.

    Try GNS3. It might turn out to be a lot better than buying real equipment.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Valsacar wrote: »
    I don't understand why people want to do the certs BEFORE they enroll... once you enroll they are free. I can understand studying a bit (with free materials) so you can knock them out faster, but why pay for something that is about to become free for you?

    Because my employer pays for certs.... So I can take as many certs to waive as much as I can; that way I go in with as many credits as possible and spend less out of my own pocket.

    I haven't started WGU or even looked at it seriously, but I did ponder about furthering my degree and this would be my reasoning.
Sign In or Register to comment.