Considering degrees to advance career or continue with certs

2»

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I finished my first term 5 weeks ahead of schedule. I'm taking a week or two off before I jump into Linux+!! ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    I thought I would update my progress at WGU for my B.S. IT - Security degree:

I'm currently on track and ahead of schedule. I should be able to finish in less than 2 terms maybe 1 1/2 depending on how it progresses. So in a year or less from now I will have my Bachelor's degree and then I can transfer over to my Master's shortly afterwards. ;)

Remaining classes:
    Principles of Management - MGC1
    Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation - IWT1
    Database I - CJV1
    Software Development Fundamentals - DJV1
    Organizational Behavior and Leadership - BNC1
    Designing Customized Security - C299
    Technical Writing - SBT1
    IT - Security Capstone Written Project - RGT1
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • onatechmissiononatechmission Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am just starting WGU- BS IT program as well (Jan 1). From the looks of it, I only have these courses left to take besides the technical writing/capstone:

CJV1: Database 1
    CUV1: Web Technologies
    TPV1: Project Management
    MGC1: Principles of Management
    BNC1: Organizational Behavior and Leadership

The first 3 courses I'm sure I can knock them out due to them being certification based….As far as requesting the voucher, would I have to complete assessments for the courses prior to requesting the actual voucher ?
    I am just starting WGU- BS IT program as well (Jan 1). From the looks of it, I only have these courses left to take besides the technical writing/capstone:

CJV1: Database 1
    CUV1: Web Technologies
    TPV1: Project Management
    MGC1: Principles of Management
    BNC1: Organizational Behavior and Leadership

The first 3 courses I'm sure I can knock them out due to them being certification based….As far as requesting the voucher, would I have to complete assessments for the courses prior to requesting the actual voucher ?

Awesome looks like you won't have that many classes to finish it. I got a little to go myself maybe 1 1/2 terms at most. :)

You work with your course mentor and need to get a certain percentage or score on a pre-assesment exam prior to the actual assessment. Then once you have satisfied that requirement your mentor will approve the assessment which you will then contact WGU for a voucher.

It's a pretty easy process after you do it once or so. ;)

• onatechmissiononatechmission Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Dakinggamer87. I am shooting to finish up in one term hopefully :). I am trying to progress myself and move into a higher role (Virtualization) in the mist of attending WGU.
    Same here trying to finish in less than 2 terms and for virtualization I would focus in on VMware technologies. ;)

Making great progress since I started at WGU this year in February. I've finished 3/4 of my degree so far onward and upward to the new year!! icon_smile.gif

Update on my progress at WGU for my B.S. IT - Security degree:

I'm currently on track and ahead of schedule. I should be able to finish in less than 1 term by the end of the Summer/Fall (August/September). Then I can transfer over to my Masters of Science: Information Technology Management degree shortly afterwards. ;)

Remaining classes:

Designing Customized Security - C299
    Software Development Fundamentals - DJV1
    Technical Writing - SBT1
    IT - Security Capstone Written Project - RGT1

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad to see youre still chugging along man.
    I only have my capstone and technical writing left, so we are pretty close
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Glad to see youre still chugging along man.
    I only have my capstone and technical writing left, so we are pretty close

Yep that we are!! icon_cheers.gif

I know I'm taking a trip to Japan once I finish lol..

• anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep that we are!! icon_cheers.gif

I know I'm taking a trip to Japan once I finish lol..

Nice lol.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let me know when you start the MS:ITM degree. Not a lot of people are taking or have taken this degree, so if you need help with any of the material I can try to provide some support. Some of the tasks (it's 100% performance assessments, i.e. papers) have really vague instructions. Some of the course mentors are extremely helpful though, others not so much. One class was between course mentors (he became unexpectedly ill, long-term) and didn't have any help at all.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    srabiee wrote: »
    Let me know when you start the MS:ITM degree. Not a lot of people are taking or have taken this degree, so if you need help with any of the material I can try to provide some support. Some of the tasks (it's 100% performance assessments, i.e. papers) have really vague instructions. Some of the course mentors are extremely helpful though, others not so much. One class was between course mentors (he became unexpectedly ill, long-term) and didn't have any help at all.

Awesome thanks much appreciated!! I will definitely let you know

I'm hoping to start by end of the year or January at the latest..

I'm soooo close currently working towards my CCNA: Security which I hope to finish by the end of next month. Then do my Scripting and Programming class hopefully within a month's timeframe. The last months leading up to the August/September goal I am shooting towards will be doing the Technical Writing and Capstone Project courses. ;)