Options

Studying for CCNA

taltal13taltal13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

My name is Tal. I'm 34 years old, live in NYC (Brooklyn to be exact). I have been a Real Estate broker for the last 8 years. I've done ok for myself but I'm just over the working for commissions and have decided to enter the exciting world of networking. icon_lol.gif

Since I've started studying I'm already getting excited not only about working but how I would network, my home and possibly any RE investments I make in the future. (I'm keeping my broker license as I occasionally have referrals - and can always take them out nights/weekends). I think wiring homes and getting them network ready can be a nice selling point. Non techies will appreciate the fact that they are "Internet Ready" while the Geeks will be glad they have something to start out with.

I'm using CBT nuggets at the moment and will open Lammle's book soon too. I'm doing a port security nugget now and I will gladly start a new topic if I shouldn't post in my intro but here goes:
I'm on Packet Tracer (don't have real gear yet, working on that) was able to switchport port-security MAX, VIOLATION & MAC(stick) for one port FA 0/1 successfuly.

I then wanted to try to do that for a whole range, so then I exited and did this:
BSMT_SW2(config)#interface range fa 0/2-4
BSMT_SW2(config-if-range)#switchport mode access
BSMT_SW2(config-if-range)#switchport ?
access Set access mode characteristics of the interface
mode Set trunking mode of the interface
native Set trunking native characteristics when interface is in
trunking mode
nonegotiate Device will not engage in negotiation protocol on this interface
trunk Set trunking characteristics of the interface
voice Voice appliance attributes
<cr>
So as you can see there's no "port-security" option.

Am I not able to configure port-security for a range of ports if I want them all to do the same thing, namely "Sticky" the connecting MAC addresses?

And if not, why not?

Thanks!

Looking forward to be being part of the community!

T

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    taltal13 wrote: »
    I think wiring homes and getting them network ready can be a nice selling point. Non techies will appreciate the fact that they are "Internet Ready" while the Geeks will be glad they have something to start out with.
    One home I purchased had an RJ-45 jack in each room, and each of those jacks were connected to a single closet. This wiring made it easy to provide high-speed (non-wireless) Internet access anywhere I liked without a cabling mess! The only improvement I would've made was ensuring that central cable hub had a power adaptor. You have a good idea others have used successfully. :)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Tal, configure the port(s) for access mode first, then enable port security using "switchport port-security" interface subcommand, then you can specify the optional commands such as "switchport port-security maximum xxx" and "switchport port-security violation xxxxxx" and "switchport port-security mac-address xxxxxx" or mac-address sticky.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Firstly make the ports access port and then enable port security and at last define optional parts like, max MAC address allowed numbers.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    I know to configure the ports to access first, it's just when I defined it to be a range of Fast Ethernet Ports (ie 0/1-12) I wasn't able to make define optional parts like MAX, Violation and MAC. However, someone told me it was because it's an emulator. They tried the command on their hardware and those options did come up under "switchport port security".

It just didn't for because I was using packet tracer instead of real hardware. More the reason to invest in a lab :)
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @taltal13 - I just tested that on Packet Tracer 5.3.3 using a 2950 switch and the port-security option was available. What version of packet Tracer are you using and what switch?

Switch>en
    Switch#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Switch(config)#int ra
    Switch(config)#int range fa0/1-4
    Switch(config-if-range)#switch
    Switch(config-if-range)#switchport port
    Switch(config-if-range)#switchport port-security ?
    mac-address Secure mac address
    maximum Max secure addresses
    violation Security violation mode
    <cr>
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @taltal13 - I just tested that on Packet Tracer 5.3.3 using a 2950 switch and the port-security option was available. What version of packet Tracer are you using and what switch?

Switch>en
    Switch#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Switch(config)#int ra
    Switch(config)#int range fa0/1-4
    Switch(config-if-range)#switch
    Switch(config-if-range)#switchport port
    Switch(config-if-range)#switchport port-security ?
    mac-address Secure mac address
    maximum Max secure addresses
    violation Security violation mode
    <cr>

@Ivanjam

I'm also using 5.3.3 - I've been using the 3560 switch (there was another terminal command that was missing - I forget which on one of the other switches). I just tried it on the 2950 and you are correct, it does work there. Can you explain to me why the discrepancy?

Thanks!
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Emulator 0, real hardware 1 :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    taltal13 wrote: »
    It just didn't for because I was using packet tracer instead of real hardware. More the reason to invest in a lab :)
    JeanM wrote: »
    Emulator 0, real hardware 1 :)

@taltal13 - I am clueless - see above :)
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]