Options

Thoughts on the new Mac Pro?

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
Haters are going to hate, and no idea what they will cost, but they look pretty nice to me.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Gives Sneak Peek Into the Future of the Pro Desktop

Comments

• Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Look really nice, but no way in hell Apple sells those for less than $3,000-5,000 each lol
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Nice specs, however the old one at least allowed changeable parts.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    First thoughts - "ugh"
    Second thoughts - "meh"

I choose functionality over form 107% of the time and the Mac Pro is mostly about form. While the specs are great, how many hard drives can I add? Will I be able to add PCI-E audio interfaces to the new Mac Pro? Because of my uses of my Mac Pro, these are the questions that I asked after the announcement. *shrugs*
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I will definitely buy one! Lets hope its not really really expensive !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I reccon around $10k for decent spec. Decent PCIe storage isn't cheap at all to begin with - and Apple usually doesn't do cheap .. (Fusion IO anyone?).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought it looked better with the cover off lol. Also I thought of the Star Trek Genesis device when I saw it.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    Nice specs, however the old one at least allowed changeable parts.

My understanding is that all the internal parts are swappable, though the GPU would need a special form factor.

With thunderbolt 2, you can add all kinds of things - additional GPU's, storage, video processing, etc.

And, yeah, they probably are not going to be cheap, but if you are a pro that uses mac software, it looks like it will be a solid workstation.
  • Options
    Well they could have just made it a bit bigger, and allowed you to keep all that stuff internal. Now your desk is gonna look like the early 2000s with USB hubs and 10000 devices attached.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I thought it looked better with the cover off lol. Also I thought of the Star Trek Genesis device when I saw it.

There is certainly potential to mod the case - if you spend that sort of money then I am sure you can afford having the side panels made of acrylic :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    QHalo wrote: »
    Well they could have just made it a bit bigger, and allowed you to keep all that stuff internal.
    This is not Apple's business model :)
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's one really expensive trash can. It doesn't even include the step on the side to open the lid!!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    That's one really expensive trash can. It doesn't even include the step on the side to open the lid!!

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it. It looks like a little black trash can I can pick up at staples for my office with slightly more computing power though.
  • Options
    Should be some Windows powered clones coming any minute now.
  • Options
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks like a trash can/R2D2 nice specs though
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't really get it. Outside of the few people who need a high-powered Mac, this doesn't seem useful or relevant, and never has. The last couple gens of Macbooks have been truly something different in the laptop sector, but I don't see the extra utility of a Mac Pro for any of us.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    bdub wrote: »

If you want to get technical, the cube Mac was around well before that. I'm not saying they're reinventing anything...
  • Options
    bdub wrote: »

Have you actually tried building with that case? I tried and it was a PITA, besides Silverstone is a bit late with that design if you remember the G4 Cube. My wife had one, not many people did though based on sales figures lol.

Power Mac G4 Cube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I don't really get it. Outside of the few people who need a high-powered Mac, this doesn't seem useful or relevant, and never has. The last couple gens of Macbooks have been truly something different in the laptop sector, but I don't see the extra utility of a Mac Pro for any of us.

Apple didn't have a desktop for graphic professionals something between the laptop and iMac line. This machine will make minimal profit and will probably be the test run for making more products in the US.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    "EXTERMINATE!" ....anyone? no...just me then..okay.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    For me its about the OS

Box wise... Ive seen cooler boxes out there for PCs.
    The new macbook indeed looks nice but meh, for me its about the OS.
    If I buy a mac its because the macos
    meh
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It looks like a cool ashtray. or garbage can. Everyone at work was dying when we played the presentation video of it.
    I wish it was a bit larger than 9.9 inches high. It has a cool thermal design though.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    for the right price its a great machine.

for the wrong price its a great flop.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Should be some Windows powered clones coming any minute now.

Xi3 has had a Windows product line using the same basic design principles but their products are not in the same market niche as the Mac Pro.