Options

Driver?

bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
In Chapter 7 Odom vaguely suggests a driver for the PC so that Windows knows that the device on the other end of the USB connection is the console of a Cisco device.

Anyone know what he's referring to there?

I installed the driver for the Serial converter, but I wasn't sure if there was another driver download from Cisco I needed. The serial connection via Putty doesn't seem to want to connect though.

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have the book on me, but he's probably referring to the driver for the USB-to-Serial converter.

I do remember having a hard time finding drivers, what a hassle.
  • Options
    I thought that might be what he was referring to. I spent the money on the Tripp-Lite converter from NewEgg and it installed the driver automatically. I wasn't sure if there was something else I'm missing.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Thats definitely what he was referring to -- the USB to DB9 (RS-232) Converter

However, keep in mind new Cisco gear has a Mini USB port on the front that allows an operator to connect directly to it for console access, and that has a separate driver that can be downloaded from Cisco
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Thanks, yea I figured it out.

When using the Putty the prompt comes up but won't let you type anything until you hit enter. I downloaded Tera Term and figured that out. It was user error.