Options

csu/dsu card

djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
did i buy the wrong card? I was looking for a card to insert in my 1721 routers to simulate a serial point to point wan connection.

I purchased Cisco WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 WAN Interface Cards

Comments

• Options
    djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see t1 crossover cables on ebay. Should that do the trick? If so, what end should I configure clocking?
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    The cards will work fine with T1 cables. I use T1 cards to simulate frame relay in my home lab. As for commands; this should help: Configuring Cisco Integrated Data Service Unit/Channel Service Unit (DSU/CSU) Modules and WAN Interface Cards - Cisco Systems
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use only WIC-1DSU-T1 and WIC-1DSU-T1 V2 in my lab. You can even roll your own cables.

Side 1: Orange-White, Orange, Green-White, Blue, Blue-White, Green, Brown-White, Brown
    Side 2: Blue-White, Blue, Green-White, Orange, Orange-White, Green, Brown-White, Brown

I think they are more realistic. You aren't going to see too many places using serial cables to an external CSU/DSU these days. I've seen WIC-1DSU-T1 V2, VWIC2-1MFT-T1, and HWIC-4T1/E1 used at various sites and in each case they were connected to a smart jack using plain old UTP Cable (though T1 is supposed to use cable with individually shielded pairs - T1 Cable -, you can get away with and many businesses do just use plain Cat. 5e or Cat. 6), which might then be connected back to a 66 Block mounted on the wall.

Telco > 66 Block on Wall > 2 Smart Jacks > HWIC-4T1/E1 > Cisco 2911
    Telco > Smart Jack > WIC-1DSU-T1 V2 > Cisco 2811
    Telco > Smart Jack > VWIC2-1MFT-T1 > Cisco 2811
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can make your own T-1 crossover cables if you don't want to buy them..all it takes is some CAT5, RJ-45 ends and a crimper. Pinouts are just a google away!
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vinbuck wrote: »
    You can make your own T-1 crossover cables if you don't want to buy them..all it takes is some CAT5, RJ-45 ends and a crimper. Pinouts are just a google away!

Here's how I remember the various pinouts [having memorized TIA-568B as a starting point]...

Ethernet Crossover -- Miami, Reverse the Orange and Green Pairs
    T1 Crossover -- Florida [or Auburn], Reverse the Orange and Blue Pairs

Unfortunately there's no Garnet or Gold Pairs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]