Options

Projector Setup with HDMI over CAT6

olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all.
I recently bought a home and I am setting up a projector in one of the rooms.
Since normally all end devices sit next to the screen (Blu-ray, Xbox, Nintendo etc) and projectors sit opposite the screen I have to come up with a way to get the data to the projector from across the room.

Here is a quick Photoshop image of what I am talking about.

I have CAT6a cable runs through the entire house and was thinking that I could use them to possibly extend the HDMI to run through the wall and ceiling to get to the projector.

The total distance should be about 20-25 feet.
For such a short distance would simple HDMI to CAT6 wallplates work?
Such as these?
https://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8008&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
Thanks!

Projector.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    You'd be better off just getting a 30-35 foot long HDMI cable, which you can easily order online, and running it up the wall and on the ceiling or even go in-wall HDMI if you feel so inclined to poke holes in your home. Your solution requires two HDMI to Ethernet adapters connected to a long Ethernet cable.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'd be better off just getting a 30-35 foot long HDMI cable, which you can easily order online, and running it up the wall and on the ceiling or even go in-wall HDMI if you feel so inclined to poke holes in your home. Your solution requires two HDMI to Ethernet adapters connected to a long Ethernet cable.

Yeah thats always an option.
    The only reason I wanted to use CAT6 is because I have so much of it. I bought a 1000ft and only used about half.
    If I do just get an HDMI cable I will run it inside the walls, so I will still need to get HDMI to HDMI faceplates
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    After recently playing this game myself for my home entertainment center, I would advise against HDMI over CAT unless it's your only option. It'll likely end up costing just as much if not more, adds more components to fail and is just really unnecessary.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You've the choice of using something called a balun (balanced/unbalanced - like modem). These are used a lot in AV for when a VGA/DVI/HDMI/etc. cable isn't long enough or quite simply can't be put in place but a cat5/6 can.
    Quality varies with price, as do all things, but you should be able to get a decent one for about $100+.
    Pro: you can reuse it for wherever you want HDMI.
    Con: you can probably fit a new long HDMI cable for less money.

For faceplates, altough there are an increasing number of customisable (component) faceplates available, they tend to have a fixed cable length associated with them (5/10m) so you'd have to snip and solder your HDMI cable (BAD thing!).
    Akaricloud is quite right in advising on the reduction of intermediate components.

Since you're in Vegas, you could probably head along to a show like this.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Is price that big of a deal if you get it all from monoprice?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???