Options

Finally upgraded my pc from OLD Inte Core 2 Duo from like 5 years ago...

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Finally upgraded my pc from OLD Inte Core 2 Duo from like 5 years ago...

I finally upgraded, spent $300 at frys on ram, cpu and motherboard (had the rest)

anyways I have 2 questions, one I wasn't able to plug in the switch for my power on botton for my desktop (there is a push botton on the motherboard, wtf)

2. I got this AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7540D AD540KOKHJBOX - Newegg.com do they now have built in gpu's in the CPU? Obviously i dont think its as fast as a radeon hd 7970??

the intel core 2 duo didn't support virtualization for my home labs so i didn't want to spend that much on a new pc, hopefully this'll last me a couple years for a home lab, but i feel old finally upgrading after all these years

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Virtualization labs yet you bought another dual core cpu? Mmmk...

There should be a few sets of wires from the computer case that plug into the motherboard. One of them is for the power switch. See below. They typically plug into the lower right area of the motherboard when looking at it in the case. Look for a series of pins. Sometimes they are colored, sometime they are not. Get a flashlight and magnifying glass if necessary to read the print.

CASE_FRONT_wires.jpg

To answer your second question, no. The 7970 is leagues ahead of any APU or integrated GPU setup. It is probably comparable to a low-mid range 6000 series discrete GPU.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Virtualization labs yet you bought another dual core cpu? Mmmk...

+1 to that. Seems like you might have overpaid for your MB based on the price of the CPU and the overall cost of your purchase. I would expect the CPU to be the most expensive object. At ~$70.00 for the one you listed I would expect the RAM to sit at ~$50.00 (8GB DDR3) and the MB at ~$50.00 based on a quick search through Newegg. That comes to around half or 2/3 of your purchase cost after tax.

Curious where it all went. You might be able to save yourself some money.

EDIT

Check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1243263
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Core 2 Duo does support virtualization. I know because I used one. You probably had virtualization disabled in the BIOS. All you had to do was enable it.

EDIT: Higher end units had virtualization support, starting with the E6300.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I remember using VMWare Workstation on an old Athlon 1 Ghz. Did Intel CPU not support virtualization at that time?
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    There's a difference between being capable of running one and actually being able to run it well enough to do labs. My Core 2 Quad w/ 4gb ram can run 2 VMs but it's painful to try.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Virtualization was often disabled by default back then. Not sure how it is now. Could easily be enabled in the BIOS.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???