Options

Job offer for NOC

Jad207Jad207 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I was just offered a position in a network operations center on Friday for a MSP doing basic monitoring of thier network. I'm currently working at a Help Desk making around 51K and the role is paying only 48K. I really want to get into a network related role but I'm kind of iffy on the pay loss...I could still live on 48K but it feels like i'm going backwards...what do you guys think I should do?

Comments

• Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have near the amount of experience you do, but I am currently in a Help Desk role. I personally think the pay cut would be worth it. Sure, it is $3000, but it is putting a foot into the field you want to be in, and opening up further expansion into that field. Help Desk is one of those roles that is a bit hard to get promoted from (imho), and usually only serves as experience on a resume to get you into a job a bit higher up the ladder.

3k seems like a small entry fee for the future it opens up. I personally don't see this sort of move being a step back. It seems like you are moving forward!
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    $3,000 is nothing compared to a position you are interested in. Hell I took a $10,000 decress is pay just so I can be with my family everyday (I still do the same help desk support though.)
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it and keep moving forward.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    OG MaverickOG Maverick Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take it and tell me more about this $51k helpdesk position!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take it and tell me more about this $51k helpdesk position!

The OP lists NOVA as his/her location. That probably explains it.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For sure take it. $3k won't even hardly be noticeable on your check. I took a $20k pay cut to go from contractor to full time employee at my current job. THAT hurt!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I can PM you the company if interested, I got to 50K though because I work as a on site government contractor and my old company was a known large defense contractor. I don't know if the new company that took over pays that high though.

Thanks I don't feel so bad taking the job, I didn't know it was common for jobseekers to make moves like that. 20K is painful Daniel..I couldn't imagine that. The position I'm offered is a night shift, anything I should prepare for?
  • Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    20K hurts a lot.. but in the end it MAY be worth it if its going into a job you'll love and stay at for many years..
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I agree with everyone else. 3K is small when compared to the experience and doors that it will open up. As I am sure you are fully aware, keep in mind that it's 3K per year. So keep striving for better, never lose a moment to better yourself, and get that 3K (and more) back ASAP!!!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Well if NOC/networks is what u wanna do, I dont think 3k drop is that much.
    meh
  • Options
    It's mostly a monitoring role on night shift so I'm guessing that I'm going to have to put some serious time in to study and red bull to stay awake for 12 hours. For those of you guys that do 12's, anything I should look out for?