What should I do..job help?

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Ok so heres what I need help on. I have applied for a total of 3 jobs and am wanting to apply for a new position that just opened up. The first jobs is an IT Logistics Technician II for the city. I just got a letter from them for an interview. The second job is for an End User Support Technician job with a hospital and my status has changed to "Our recruitment team has reviewed your application and along with other candidates, you are still in consideration for the position. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview." but they have not contacted me yet. The 3rd job is for a school district and the job just closed so hopefully they contact me within the next week or so. And now a new job just opened up as a IT Desktop Technician I with the same city as the first employer from which I just got the letter. The letter states to contact them within the next 3 days to set up the interview. Should I let them know that I plan on applying for the new job that they just posted? or should I just set up the interview and just wait to see what happens?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    it cant hurt to apply. Once you get the interview tell them you have interest in both positions.
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    I prefer the latter position as the one I have an interview for is more of an inventory type of thing but relates to IT. I am going to finish applying. At the interview should I just say I am interested in the other position as well?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pixa241 wrote: »
    The first jobs is an IT Logistics Technician II for the city... And now a new job just opened up as a IT Desktop Technician I with the same city as the first employer from which I just got the letter.Should I let them know that I plan on applying for the new job that they just posted? or should I just set up the interview and just wait to see what happens?
    If you're interested in the position, setup an interview like they asked. If you're not interested in the position, decline. I have no idea why you'd share other jobs you're interested in without them asking. How would that help you win this job?
    I prefer the latter position as the one I have an interview for is more of an inventory type of thing but relates to IT. I am going to finish applying. At the interview should I just say I am interested in the other position as well?

I would do this prior. Maybe when you speak to the recruiter or person who contacts you, just say "i want to let you know that i also applied for the xxx position at your company. Please let me know which would be the best fit."
    Please let me know which would be the best fit."
    If I were the OP, I would want an active hand in deciding which role was the best fit for me. It sounds like he already has a preference for the latter role, although the two interviews may change his mind. I wouldn't cede this decision to the employer.
    If you're interested in the position, setup an interview like they asked. If you're not interested in the position, decline. I have no idea why you'd share other jobs you're interested in without them asking. How would that help you win this job?

The thing is I am currently not working in the IT field. This is a job that can possibly get me in the door. I am interested in the new position that they just posted as that deals more with IT and the current one that I have an interview for is more of a supply and warehouse for IT stuff kind of job. Now I would take this job if I didn't have a chance at the second job. I meet the qualifications and the only requirement they ask for is the A+ cert. They had the same job posted about 6 months ago and I applied and got denied. This time around I have gained 3 microsoft certs and have 6 months more of education as well as experience at a local tax business.
    If I were the OP, I would want an active hand in deciding which role was the best fit for me. It sounds like he already has a preference for the latter role, although the two interviews may change his mind. I wouldn't cede this decision to the employer.

True, and i would imagine he would have that opportunity. I don't think declining one of the positions is the answer though.

i have done this successfully before. I was honest prior by telling them that i had interest in both positions and wanted to find out which was the best fit. When in the interview i asked about both positions, what the differences where and such and then positioned myself for the one i was interested in. I would say that is the best route to take.
    True, and i would imagine he would have that opportunity. I don't think declining one of the positions is the answer though.
    I didn't suggest declining either position. I suggested setting up the first interview and applying for the second position. There is no need to tell the first set of interviewers that he's interested in / more interested in another position even from the same employer. There's also no need to suggest that they should decide which position he's a better fit for. After interviewing for both positions--if they're interested in him for both--that is a decision they should collaboratively make.
    I was honest prior by telling them that i had interest in both positions
    Neither approach compromises honesty, as nobody has asked him about other jobs he's interested in or applying for.
    I didn't suggest declining either position. I suggested setting up the first interview and applying for the second position. There is no need to tell the first set of interviewers that he's interested in / more interested in another position even from the same employer. There's also no need to suggest that they should decide which position he's a better fit for. After interviewing for both positions--if they're interested in him for both--that is a decision they should collaboratively make.

Neither approach compromises honesty, as nobody has asked him about other jobs he's interested in or applying for.

I like what you have said. So do you suggest just setting up the first interview and apply for the new job. Should I mention anything about the new job at all? I mean I would prefer the new one way over this one but I'm thinking if maybe I go through with the interview and they offer the job i can then maybe ask about how applying for the new job and how that affects anything?
    One more question guys. Before I had got the letter for the interview I had redone my resume and completely revamped it. For the interview should I take a copy of the new one or the one I used to apply with?
    if maybe I go through with the interview and they offer the job i can then maybe ask about how applying for the new job and how that affects anything?
    Do you have any reason to believe that both positions have the same hiring manager? If the hiring manager for the two positions are different, it's unclear what you hope to achieve by telling manager #1 that you are interested in manager #2's position. Perhaps your city is small and so you assume they are the same person. In mine they probably wouldn't be. It makes a difference. :)
    For the interview should I take a copy of the new one or the one I used to apply with?
    I'd take whichever interview you feel is better given that you are aiming for this particular job.