Options

Considering WGU but which focus

BackpackerBackpacker Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,
I have worked 11 years as a Network Maintenance Tech (lineman) for a cable company.My job duties have included everything from monitoring the NOC dashboard, splicing and repairing fiber,setting up nodes and basically diagnosing and repairing any cable or hardware from our headend to a customers premise.
Recently I applied to another department for an entry level networking position and I didn't get it.I was told by HR I had all the required experience for this position but lacked a degree.I have only a HSD and an A+ from 1999.I did study Net+ at the same time but didn't sit the test.
For the past 2 weeks I have been studying for the newer CCENT.My goal is CCENT,CCNA and either CCNA Sec or Wireless.I work 50 hours a week and have family commitments so a traditional B and M school will not fit my lifestyle at this time.
I see alot of people here favor the BSIT degrees here.Originally I was interested in the basic IT degree but now I'm starting to favor the Business in IT Management.While my goals are to advance my career in networking I don not have any inclination to be in management.If I am going to pursue the certs on my own wouldn't this give me a more opportunities to move up in the industry.My thinking is since I will be going for an entry level position is that the Cisco certs would suffice for knowing the fundamentals and the degree would just be a checkmark on my resume.And if the job market goes in the tank I feel that having a business degree will not have all my eggs in the same basket.
Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Backpacker wrote: »
    Originally I was interested in the basic IT degree but now I'm starting to favor the Business in IT Management.While my goals are to advance my career in networking I don not have any inclination to be in management.

If you don't have any interest in management at all then what would the backup plan of a business degree do for you that would be better than a degree in IT that you plan on using?
  • Options
    BackpackerBackpacker Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am just thinking that having some versatility might be good.I just thought it might be a good combo and maybe open up some doors.Wouldn't that help for some Project Management?
    After reading what I typed it does seem that that basic IT degree is more in line with what my goals are.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I do not know about WGU, but I received a CS degree, and a Minor in Business Admin...don't know what options you have at WGU.