Options

ICND1 v 1.0 Passed, on to ICND2 v 2.0 ?

kc98gtkc98gt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I have been training for the CCENT since the beginning of this year. I was not aware of the version change of the ICND exams until well into my studies for ICND1. I passed the ICND1 exam this past Saturday with a 899; I am definitely excited and looking forward to my pursuit of a CCNA.

I have about 3 months left to take version 1 of the ICND2 exam if I choose to do so. It took me about 4 months to prepare for the CCENT based on my work/life schedule, so I figured I probably wouldn't have enough time to prepare and take version 1 of ICND2 this year. I went ahead and purchased Odom's ICND2 200-101 CCNA Routing & Switching book, and right away he is starting to get into VLANS and Trunking which was not part of the CCENT training that I just completed.

I plan on using other sources aside from just the book, but my concern is that there is some material from the new ICND1 100-101 that I am expected to already know; that I just have not been exposed to. So when I am reading this book it is reviewing that material, but not necessarily "teaching" the material.

If you were me, what would you do? I definitely know I could prepare and take version 1 of the exam by September 30th. But if I don't pass the exam on the first attempt I am in a pretty challenging spot, having only version 2 of the exam to take if I do not pass on my first attempt.

I think a good option would be to buy Odom's ICND1 100-101 book as well, and use that to learn those few topics that were not discussed on version 1 of the exam. This will allow me to study at my own pace, and still prepare for ICND2 200-101, thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations on the pass!!!
    I think I would really try to take the v1 of ICND2 by 9/30.
    I have been in that situation where you are between two versions of the exam.
    Not an enviable position.
    Start studying and see if you can do it by 9/30 gets my vote.
  • Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just passed ccent last week.

I agree with sharkdiver, and that's what I'm doing. I just cracked Odom's 640-816 book this morning, so the race is on!
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    As mentioned already; it would be better to pass ICND2 before the dead line. if you have ICND1 v1 and opt to go for ICND2 v2. In a recent talk Wendell Odom stated: it's best to study the new ICND1 material before attempting the 200-101 exam. So you'll increase the work load with a v1 and v2 split.

Having compared my Odom editions I can see why; there's been enough added or removed, that relying on the old material won't be enough. Unless you have a few years real world experience. In general: if you have version 1 try to squeeze in the other half before the dead-line. It will be quicker and "easier" short term.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Good luck with second exam
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Congrats on the pass and good luck for your ICND 2 (old or new).icon_thumright.gif

I would suggest you to take ICND old version before the dead line... That's what my (most of us) plans are.
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • Options
    SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the rest - if time is your concern then trying to squeeze in all the new material will probably be the worst choice you could make. Try to make the deadline for the old test. You still have three months. What I would do is really commit to a two month study period and schedule the test at the end of August. If you don't pass, you have a month still to brush up on what you missed the first time around.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I just got Odom's CCENT and Lammle's CCNA study guides and I have access to packet tracer. I'm going to try and knock CCENT and CCNA out before they change the test. So no room for failure, I gotta pass both on first try. I'm much more interested in InfoSec than networking, but it'll be a nice cert to have and gives me the opportunity to finish something I started long ago.
  • Options
    silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    Congrats! I completed my CCENT recently at the beginning of the month and I'm planning on taking the ICND2 on July 8th. I think its definitely doable, I've read Odom's book and watched the CBT Nuggets on ICND2 and things seem fairly straight forward. You still have a good amount of time before the exam is retired so I would definitely try for the current version of the exam. Good luck!
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Congrats on the pass and good luck for your ICND 2 icon_thumright.gif
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • Options
    kc98gtkc98gt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I have decided to go that exact route Souljacker. I know this exam is challenging enough, so I will be taking the exam towards the end of August to give myself enough time for a retake or two if needed. The race is on, studying is going well so far!
  • Options
    Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on your study towards the last exam!! I haven't started yet for this one so I'll wait for the new version before I take it!
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.