Options

Help Me Find my Way Back to IT

La femme TechqitaLa femme Techqita Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Day All, I would like to first say how much I value this site and all of the wisdom you all have.

Okay soo heres my deal. I'm a wife and mother who has a B.S in C.I.S (class of 02) with five years of tech support / help desk experiance. In 2010 I choose to leave the field to be closer to home with my then small twins. During that time I started substituting for my distract schools .
After three yrs of that I no longer want to work around kids lol. My kids will be entering 1st grade and Im ready to get back into IT. My problem is no recent IT experiance. I get calls and interviews but they all pass. Im now working in a small service desk contract but I really want to get off the phones and get knee deep in IT. Being away from her(IT) really made me appreciate her more.

So the real question is what cert path must I take to elavate me to database or application rolls I long for.

Comments

• Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most people say the CompTia trio is a good way to start. I can't see them being terrible to have, but they are entry level. With your prior exp, I would possibly go for a vendor specific ones, depending on where you wanna go that is as well. Career wise.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    During your 5 years of helpdesk did you do any studying, or did you have any interest in a particular technology? Even if it was just 'well the voice team look like they enjoy their job, maybe I want to dive into voice technologies'.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    Yes Im very drawn to database . But I have no idea how to break into it. It seems many ppl go the networking route but that not me .
  • Options
    Rosco2382 wrote: »
    Most people say the CompTia trio is a

good way to start. I can't see them being terrible to have, but they are entry level. With your prior exp, I would possibly go for a vendor specific ones, depending on where you wanna go that is as well. Career wise.

Career wise I want to work more on applications and databases .
  • Options
    Well it doesn't seem like you want to get into IT. You appear to be more interested in web/software development. This would probably be the most effective route to any database position whether it be DBA or developer etc.
  • Options
    Sooooo Dba or System Admins are not IT ?????
  • Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    krjay wrote: »
    Well it doesn't seem like you want to get into IT. You appear to be more interested in web/software development.

Web and software development are a part of IT.

The thing about application development and databases is that there aren't as many certifications as the networking and security fields. You can look at some of the Microsoft or Oracle certifications for databases if you feel they are suitable for your skill level.

If you have the skills for it, but don't have any experience, I would suggest making your own experience. Take on a side project, develop a website or application on the side, which you can use in your resume and interviews.

Both of these will show you're dedicated to working in IT and also have the necessary skills.
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options

The thing about application development and databases is that there aren't as many certifications as the networking and security fields. You can look at some of the Microsoft or Oracle certifications for databases if you feel they are suitable for your skill level.

If you have the skills for it, but don't have any experience, I would suggest making your own experience. Take on a side project, develop a website or application on the side, which you can use in your resume and interviews.

Both of these will show you're dedicated to working in IT and also have the necessary skills.

Thanks for clearing that last comment up.. And thanks for the tips :0)
  • Options

Not in my firm. I think we work more closely with finance people than the web developers here. (not in financial industry)
  • Options
    Not in my firm. I think we work more closely with finance people than the web developers here. (not in financial industry)
    Thanks for elaborating...... But to me IT is a Tree with many Branches,twigs and leaves !
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□

This is true for my current company. At a bank I worked for they were part of our department. So maybe it depends on the company. I think overall though they are generally IT related field.