Options

New Lab Questions

csajessecsajesse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am starting to study for my CCNA using CBT Nuggets video series. I purchased the hardware that the instructor suggested, but in looking around this site, it appears that I may not have enough gear. Could someone please let me know if I have enough of and the correct equipment.

2 x Cisco 2621 routers
2 x Cisco 3550 switches

Thanks,

Jesse

Comments

• Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have the resources I'd say at least 5 switches and 3 routers for something like this:
                            R1
                         /      \
                     R2           R3
                    /|\             /   \
                  /  |  \          S4  S5
                S1 S2 S3

However, you should be able to accomplish most tasks with the equipment you have, it may require re-cabling for different scenarios however.

Personally I used Packet Tracer and sometimes GNS3 for my CCNA studies.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Grab a couple 2950 switches, also do you have serial interface cars/cables already, will need that for frame relay/ppp/chap labs..
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    csajessecsajesse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I purchased a 2611 and 2 2950's as well as a NM-4A/S card for one of my 2621's. Am I missing anything else for my CCNA (and hopefully CCNP) lab?
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you should be in pretty good shape. You can do pretty much anything you'll encounter at the CCNA level with 3 routers. 3 switches are great because you can play with root bridge selection (STP), but you can learn a lot about STP with two switches (and multiple links between them).

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Any good topologies for 3 switches and 3 routers ccnxjr? Been trying to think of some so I can finally set up what I bought and have it be productive.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    If you have the resources I'd say at least 5 switches and 3 routers for something like this:

FIVE switches? I just passed CCNP switch, and I only have 4! You've got too much money, clearly! icon_lol.gif

Packet tracer is excellent for CCNA (IMO), because you can click from "Real time mode" to "Simulation mode" and watch the packets flow. I like the way that it explains the logic of the device for each level of the OSI model for each packet.

That said, getting your hands on real kit is important, so mix it up.

As for topologies, your imagination is the limit. Read something in your book, and think "what can I set up to lab that?", then cable up some switches / routers and try it. You'll learn lots. My lab is always completely de-cabled unless I'm working on it...I cable it up per-scenario.

My two pence.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also a side note, to truly understand technologies, sometimes less is more in terms of equipment. Sometimes having too much gear detracts from the focus of your studies.