Getting it overwith

tiggertigger Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was going to go for the CCNA, however, my employer (Strongly encouraged icon_twisted.gif) that I get my MCSA/SE before CCNA, I have decided that I would get the Comptia Electives out of the way first. I have been working with HW/SW for about 6 years so I don't really see to many problems. I think that I just need alittle brushing up on a few things and away I go icon_bounce.gif.

I figure that If I can pass the practices exams on this site and the new ones that the All mighty WebMaster put together in his tech notes, I should be ready.

This is the best Site on the Web icon_thumright.gif I wish to everyone a happy 4th and be safe...... drunken_smilie.gif

Comments

• bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    with your experience you will have a headstart on your studies, although, if you have had plenty of experience with windows 2000 environments, it may not be necessary to take the "comptia electives", as they only count towards mcsa and not mcse.
    A+ Moderator
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    If you want to take a CompTIA exam that counts towards MCSE take Security+. That's what I did because as bellboy says, A+ and Network+/Server+ only count towards MCSA.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is correct that A+ and Net+ are only for MCSA, however Security+ is a far more difficult exam than any other Comptia exam and only counts towards MCSA + Sec or MCSE + Sec - that entails 2 extra exams over the usual MCSA/MCSE track.

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsasecurity/windows2000.asp
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Actually, if you check the MCSA and MCSE requirements, it shows at the very bottom that Security+ can be substituted as an elective for MCSA and MCSE and well as MCSA Security and MCSE Security. This is my understanding from what it stated on their website.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya I read it that way too. However a call to Microsoft and I was advised that Sec+ was only for MCSA/MCSE Security. Who knows how they will view it after a few people ask?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • tiggertigger Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all, thanks for the advise. I looked at the MS site and see what you mean.

I fugure that taking the A+ exams will give me alittle more experience with the exam taking part of the whole thing before I start into the more difficult one (i.e. MS exam{what a joy}).

Boss man is paying the $.. for them so I might as well take advantage of it while I can.

Thanks again for the advise..

TTFN....
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    a+ and network+ seem to have opened my eyes and helped the foundation for what i am learning with my microsoft studies. unless you have been an admin for a number of years, i would suggest to anybody that starting your certification with comptia is the best way.
    A+ Moderator