Options

Passed ICND1... but got plenty of questions!

streetkingstreetking Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I passed ICND1 today with only an 862. I've read the whole Todd Lamal book 5 years ago (lol when I attempted 640-801 from back in the day and failed). A month and a half ago I started my studies with CBTnuggets and researching online as well as using Boson exams and a little bit of GNS3 and I thought I got a pretty good understand on all the topics but during the exam I found out there were just terminologies or terms that came out from nowhere.

Do anyone know what's an VSLAM (or something similar to that...)? It's definitely not vlsm... I have have problem with a bunch of answers which seems really vague. I also somehow skipped the details of a DSL connection (never used DSL my whole life either, only cable) which totally got me.

Now it gets me worry about ICND2. I would only get one shot until they add the new material by the end of September : (

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    streetking wrote: »
    Do anyone know what's an VSLAM (or something similar to that...)? I also somehow skipped the details of a DSL connection (never used DSL my whole life either, only cable) which totally got me.
    Digital subscriber line access multiplexer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    wow, thanks netvet for the pointer!

if that had appeared on my test, i wouldn't have known how to answer @_@

---

I think i've heard CCNA getting an update between Sept 2012 (when I completed it) and now. I wonder if that's the reason...
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats! The exams get changed every few years, it is normal and it is how it should be. This is IT, things change rapidly. New technologies get introduced, older ones get phased out etc.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Congrats on your pass! icon_cheers.gif

I had to Google VSLAM when I ran into it during an ExamSim session, so I know it was in there. You should, perhaps, spend more time with that ExamSim for ICND2. I've found it helps if I make notes during playing around with it to be able to look things up, I don't have a clear understanding of, later.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on your pass. LOL I also used the Lammle book years ago and failed but it was my own fault because I rushed some stuff. What are you going to use for ICND2. I am preparing for ICND1 also, right now I have the CBT nuggets and Chris Bryant videos and Boson Exam Max. Will probably just use Packet Tracer for hands on. So you just used CBT nuggets and Boson test pretty much? I may use the lammle book again if iI see I'm not doing good on the boson test maybe.
  • Options
    jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no need to worry. the core technologies have been the same for over forty years. if u the learn the technology, it doesn't matter what cisco does to their test. commands, protocols and the world of networking doesn't change just because cisco changes it's test. and if u plan on furthering your studies, you'll have to learn that material anyway. 3 months is a long time. if you think you can't make it within that time frame, then just focus on new test. nothing is hard if you're prepared.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    40 years ago there weren't even standards for STP, IS-IS, OSPFv2, BGPv4, or MPLS... and the CCNP even 10 years ago looked vastly different than the CCNP today. Ask me how I know! This is why we have to keep studying to stay relevant. ;)
  • Options
    shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gif
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • Options
    streetkingstreetking Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beach5563 wrote: »
    congrats on your pass. LOL I also used the Lammle book years ago and failed but it was my own fault because I rushed some stuff. What are you going to use for ICND2. I am preparing for ICND1 also, right now I have the CBT nuggets and Chris Bryant videos and Boson Exam Max. Will probably just use Packet Tracer for hands on. So you just used CBT nuggets and Boson test pretty much? I may use the lammle book again if iI see I'm not doing good on the boson test maybe.

I only used CBT and Boson as well as a few sources here and there found by google search. I probably would have benefited more from reading the ICND1 study guides but I just basically studied for a month or so when I had spare time during work so I would really recommand going into the details with books. It should benefit you from ICND2 anyway.

I am going to read through Odom's book (found the edition 2 pdf from online) and watch CBTnuggets.
    I am also going to do the labs with GNS3 virtual routers...I have some L2/L3 switches at work so I will just be playing with them for switching... lol I am going to buy the boson lab as well...

I can't make up my mine to study either for 802-016 or 200-101 icon_sad.gif I worry that I won't have enough time to pass the 802-016 before the dead line on September