Options

Justifying a promotion

hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
Right now I am working on a project to project basis for a company along with running my own business. In the last week I have had two contacts for a help desk and NOC that would provide a small pay hit but steady pay. I want to keep working with the company I have been working with and they are open to the idea if I can justify moving to full time.

The company is trying to break into IT MSP, I'm currently doing about 10 hours a week of research and other work into doing that along with a couple hours a month for website support and misc. support. Any ideas for what I could do to fill 20 hours a week?

Comments

• Options
    Well here is what I have so far, maybe this will get some replies but who knows.

Duties:
    • Protects computer assets by establishing and enforcing system access controls; maintaining disaster preparedness.
    • Maintains computer operations by monitoring and adjusting operations; developing and conducting training.
    • Maintains databases by identifying and solving database requirements; supporting users.
    • Develops Web sites by planning and executing design; maintaining and upgrading service.

Responsibilities:

• Desktop Support
      • Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future desktop hardware needs.
      • Conduct research on desktop products in support of PC procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend products for purchase.
      • Write technical specifications for purchase of PCs, desktop hardware and related products.
    • Website Design & Management
      • Plan site design by clarifying goals; designing functionality.
      • Develop site content and graphics
      • Establish online presence by registering with search engines, maintain XML sitemaps and robot friendly layouts.
      • Upgrade sites by updating content and graphics; monitoring performance and results; identifying and evaluating improvement options; introducing new technology; maintaining links.
      • Protect the site by designing and installing security precautions.
      • Prepare usage reports as needed.
    • Database
      • Identifies database requirements by interviewing customers; analyzing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems.
      • Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
      • Installs revised or new systems by proposing specifications and flowcharts; recommending optimum access techniques; coordinating installation requirements.
      • Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
      • Prepares users by conducting training; providing information; resolving problems.
      • Provides information by answering questions and requests.
      • Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
    • Operations
      • Maximizes computer output by monitoring performance; adjusting controls.
      • Maintains communication systems performance by monitoring performance; correcting error conditions; balancing systems resources.
      • Prepares users by developing and conducting training programs; measuring and approving trainee's progress.
      • Increases efficient use of equipment and software by developing and conducting hardware and system software training for clients.
      • Maintains continuity of work operations by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
      • Guides user actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating procedures and guidelines.
    • Security
      • Establishes system controls by developing framework for controls and levels of access; recommending improvements.
      • Maintains access by providing information, resources, and technical support.
      • Ensures authorized access by investigating improper access; revoking access; reporting violations; monitoring information requests by new programming; recommending improvements.
      • Establishes computer and terminal physical security by developing standards, policies, and procedures; coordinating with facilities security; recommending improvements.
      • Safeguards computer files by performing regular backups; developing procedures for disaster preparedness; recommending improvements.
      • Develops security awareness by providing orientation, educational programs, and on-going communication.

Monday
    • Research current threats and generate security brief (one hour)
      • distributed by email to office and clients
      • short, current threats along with security tips.
    • Social Media & News Updates (hour)
    • Research For Clients (potential new systems, etc...) (two hours)
    • Office IT Support (one hour)
    • Verify Remote Systems (one hour)
      • Use systems such as LogMeIn to log into remote systems
      • Verify software running, updates are being applied, etc...
      • Reveal problems before they become fatal errors
      • Can lead to more service calls
    • Create & Update Documentation (one hour)
    • Contact Clients, Develop Schedule (one hour)
      • Contact clients, find out if they need any service that week.
      • Create travel schedule based on information.

Tuesday

• Travel to clients on schedule (variable time)
    • Verify Client Systems (two-three hours)
    • Meet With & Inventory New Clients (two hours)

Wednesday
    • Website Updates & Maintenance (one hour)
    • Data Security Implementation & Upgrades (one hour)
      • Develop guidelines for data storage, security, etc...
      • Verify guidelines are being met.
      • Create documentation for why these guidelines are in place.
      • Create penalties for non-compliance, including voiding service provisions.
        • Example: Client plugs in found usb drive, infects system, must pay for service.
    • New Client Research (four hours)
      • develop search criteria using online systems for potential new clients.
      • pass information onto others.
      • refine parameters as needed.
    Thursday
    • Research current threats and generate security brief (one hour)
      • distributed by email to office and clients
      • short, current threats along with security tips.
    • Verify Remote Systems (one hour)
      • Use systems such as LogMeIn to log into remote systems
      • Verify software running, updates are being applied, etc...
    • Business Research (one-two hours)
      • How can we do things better?
      • New certifications, new systems, etc..
  • Options
    swabbiesswabbies Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hoktauri,
    From reading the thread it doesn't sound like a promotion, rather it sounds like you want more hours. Are you willing to walk away from it if the answer is no? If so I have found that being very direct is the best route. I would schedule a meeting with your boss and directly state that you like working there, but you want more hours. I wouldn't put too much energy in justifying why you should get more hours, as they already know your value based on your previous work. From my experience leading teams I don't always know what team member's goals are unless they vocalize it. They may think you only want 10 hours a week. Even if it doesn't result in an immediate change, it may help them make decisions in the next 6 months etc to find more hours for you.
    thanks,
    Swabbies
  • Options
    I had a hard time coming up with a title, it's less of a promotion and more of speeding up the schedule. Right now I'm working for them project to project as needed while they build up clients (IT MSP is not their core area), as they get bigger I'll have more work to do and will move up to full time. Because I have been getting offers from others they are open to the idea of making me full time ahead of schedule to keep me around (partly because I'm a lot cheaper than someone else), I just need to justify it with what I can do now to help them move ahead.

I'm also having to basically build my own position, so I need to go in with what I do now and what I will see myself doing in the future.