New to site

WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
Hi guys,
I am new to TechExams.net, and my immediate goal is to stop procrastinating and study for the CCNA exam. :D Especially now with the changes in Sept! Looks like some good material here in the stickies - where to start?

As for me, I completed the official Cisco Network Academy series last year, but with work and RL issues, plus my own laziness, I haven't studied like I should have. One problem is working with Cisco gear is tangential to my job and not something I get to do often. The only actual hands-on experience I have is from class, but at least I have Packet Tracer.

Comments

• Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site! Good to hear you're starting to get serious about taking the road to CCNA.

Do you plan on taking the one-exam path or the two-exam path? Also, how is your background in networking? Do you hold a Net+ or have any experience with networking fundamentals (the OSI model, subnetting, common port numbers, etc.)?
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Thanks. I was planning on the single 640-802 composite exam. The scary part is there's just SO much material.

I think I'm pretty solid on the fundamentals, so the challenge will be remembering all the Cisco commands and syntax.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Welcome!

Good luck on your exam!

I noticed you were thinking composite exam. Not a bad choice, it is a little harder as it is faster paced and covered more. If youre solid on your fundamentals I'd reccommend taking ICND1, as it should be an easy pass, will get you your CCENT, and will give you a little warm up for another Cisco exam (ie ICND2)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
    Yeah I see most people posting seem to go for the two-exam option.

As for the resources on this site, some of the Stickies are really old (this site has been around a long time! :D), so not sure where to start. Looking for any good guides or labs to supplement what I've done in class. Thanks.
    P.S. In addition to Packet Tracer, I also have an 871 from work to play around with. (Sadly, it's the non-W variety.)
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums and good luck on your CCNA journey!!
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...