Options

CCNA Lab Required

Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi to all, I'm planning on waiting till the new release of the CCNA exam and book are out before attempting the exam. Currently busy with the network warrior and Cisco IPv6 book to keep me busy till then. I want to build myself a cisco lab for hand on learning. If anyone can along a good buy of cisco equipment, please let me know? The only problem I have is with shipping don't mind paying $300-400 for some equipment, but to pay another $200/250 for shipping is insane. Thanks for the feedback so long!! Here where I live isn't as many used Cisco equipment available like on ebay and the only ones you do get comes from 100bc :) and not really sure of the working conditions.
"Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
2013/2014 Certifications
CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

Comments

• Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odom's book and the new exam are both available now I believe. Where do you live?
  • Options
    From South Africa.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications

• Options
    You're right! I see now the book is available, some of the sites here displaying it only going to sell them from October, but found one that released it now!
    2013/2014 Certifications

• Options
    You're right! I see now the book is available, some of the sites here displaying it only going to sell them from October, but found one that released it now!

You might be able to find everything you need with free worldwide shipping from ebay. I know I didn't pay any shipping costs, but I live here in the states. The seller on this link says free shipping worldwide.

Cisco 2950 Switch WS C2950 24 24 Fast Ethernet Ports CCNA Supports STP Vlan VTP 0746320454498 | eBay

I'm not saying that's a great switch to start out with, I think the 2600XM series is people are recommending. But keep your eye out you may find what you want with little to no shipping costs from the states.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If money is an issue, there is always Packet Tracer or GNS3.
  • Options
    Money isn't necessarily the problem, but buying $200-300 just for shipping, where I can rather spend it on another router or switch or ASA, no problem spending $100-150 on shipping, but paying more for shipping than the products it self is insane. Are there some other places someone has bought some cisco equipment except for ebay. Thanks in advanced.
    2013/2014 Certifications

• Options
    2013/2014 Certifications

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No - not worth it! I bought 2 x 2950 switches on Ebay for $9.99 (shipping not included) and 2 x 2610XM routers (better than those) for $31.55 (shipping not included). You won't get deals like this immediately but if you are persistent, you can land great bargains.

On Ebay, do a search for: gilco cisco and myers cisco.

Eg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-2600-Series-2620-Router-LOT-OF-3-/380675815063?pt=US_Enterprise_Routers&hash=item58a20bf697
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Boson just released their Netsim 9.0 today for the CCENT/CCNA tests if you're considering that route first.
  • Options
    @Ivanjam - The best way for me will be to buy as a complete lab as possible, as I don't live in the US shipping will be a more expensive. I have seen some incredible deals on ebay, but shipping them one by one is going to be expensive.

@bbarrick - Thanks, I will have a look at that, but really want to do the labs on physical equipment. I have someone at work who also wants to do the ccna, so we are going 50/50 on the buy, helps with the shipping :)

Still waiting for the new CCNA R&S books to get here, does anyone know what switches and routers model they recommend for the labs?
    2013/2014 Certifications

• Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Still waiting for the new CCNA R&S books to get here, does anyone know what switches and routers model they recommend for the labs?

When I build my lab I will have 2 or 3 2950's and 2 2621xm 's. When I finally get to CCNP I will add a 3550poe, you can search youtube or google for some general ideas on labs.