Options

What's Cisco 3550's power usage?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I guess Catalyst 3550 is an old piece of equipment that Cisco don't support anymore. I'm trying to get one at Ebay for home lab. many ads list its power as 525 Watt and many other ads says 65 Watt. Which one is correct?

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    The high wattage is for when you use POE. I measured some in my lab and posted numbers in the following thread -

86689-watt-usage.html
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    JeanM wrote: »
    The high wattage is for when you use POE. I measured some in my lab and posted numbers in the following thread -

86689-watt-usage.html

Thanks. That's some very helpful and interesting numbers.

BTW, do you know if I can practice VoIP on this Cisco 3550 when I get to studying CCNP? Do I have to buy anything extra for this purpose?
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Thanks. That's some very helpful and interesting numbers.

BTW, do you know if I can practice VoIP on this Cisco 3550 when I get to studying CCNP? Do I have to buy anything extra for this purpose?

You can practice VOIP on any switch that supports voice vlan tagging (a 3550 is fine, as is a 2950/60)... however without PoE support you will need the power packs to power the phone up. The 3550 only supports the Cisco PoE standard, not the 802.3af IEEE PoE standard. The newer switches like 3750 support both.. and I think the 3560 supports both as well but not too sure on that one.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    The 3560-X that I have supports both. I'm not sure about other models of 3560, but I'd assume they support both as well?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    You can practice VOIP on any switch that supports voice vlan tagging (a 3550 is fine, as is a 2950/60)... however without PoE support you will need the power packs to power the phone up. The 3550 only supports the Cisco PoE standard, not the 802.3af IEEE PoE standard. The newer switches like 3750 support both.. and I think the 3560 supports both as well but not too sure on that one.

Hope that helps.

Then is there an advantage in getting a 3550 over a 2950 as far as CCNA and CCNP are concerned? I already have two 2950, but I need one more switch because many hands-on CCNA labs from Cisco NetAcademy ask for three switches to play with.
  • Options
    Pretty much because some labs require L3 switch.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Make sure you get a 3550-EMI for L3 functionality. The 3550-SMI does not have the enhanced L3 image.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    fyi op, 3550-smi will work as well if you swap the ios on it.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Then is there an advantage in getting a 3550 over a 2950 as far as CCNA and CCNP are concerned? I already have two 2950, but I need one more switch because many hands-on CCNA labs from Cisco NetAcademy ask for three switches to play with.

the 3550 will give you L3 switching as long as you have the EMI IOS... my lab has a 3550-EMI-PWR and 2x2950-Ts but i will be expanding it with a 3560/3750 and some 2960s

Dont really need it for CCNA.. if you have 2-3 2950s then you can still setup STP and VTP labs and hit all the switching technologies. L3 switching comes in with CCNP though