CCNA lab from certification kits

cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to setup a home lab that will be worth the money and also carry over to a CCNP lab. I wanted to know your opinions on certification kits platinum lab kit and how viable it would be in the long run. I probably wont be buying the phone setups at this point. Also, I will end up making the ethernet cables myself and would be looking to purchase the rest. I have been watching ebay and have noticed how much less it is (1841 routers going for around $70-$80 after shipping).

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't know how much the Lab Books are worth, but equipment wise you could build that for under $1,500 buying the pieces on eBay.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    DISCLAIMER: I'm saying this like this because I care about your education and experience.

NEVER BUY A LAB KIT!!!!!

1) Lab kits are almost always over priced. You'll save significant money by buying each part individually. Keep your eye on ebay, forum for sale threads, and craigslist. Craigslist has been great for finding racks for dirt cheap
    2) Lab kits rob you of the learning experience. You are training yourself to be a network admin. We dont have "kits" in the real world. We are required to spec out equipment based on need. You should identify what you need (ie what hardware is needed to accomplish your learning goals) then go find it. You will learn a TON from buying and piecing together your lab
    3) Lab kits have out dated IOS (Sometimes). You'll be better off to piece together router options that have IOS 12.4 or 15.x
    4) Making a lab is FUN! Don't short yourself on that.

Remember - You're learning to build networks. Start out by building your first one on your own. And always remember, we are always more than happy to answer questions about what lab equipment to buy.

PLEASE dont sell yourself short and buy a kit. You're better than that :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd wager that almost 95% of the replies on here will point you in the direction of ebay, and I'll be one of those people, too. I'd recommend taking your time on piecing together your equipment. It may take a while, but it'll be worth it. You'll definitely save a lot! Also, don't go out on ebay and search for kits, they're a rip off as well. I'd recommend getting together a list of what you need and start looking. For me, finding the equipment on ebay was quite fun. Nothing like receiving 10+ boxes in the mail. It's like Christmas when they arrive - especially if they pack them full of packing peanuts....
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S