Options

Socializing at Work

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
What advice do you guys have for interacting with coworkers at the office? I know my job isn't to lounge and chit-chat all day but I feel disconnected from them but weird having a small talk/conversation with my coworkers. One of the reasons are is because I'm have social anxiety. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    Just listen / talk as often as you can (within reason of course) - once you find some stuff that you have in common, use that as a jumping off point to learn more about them.
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Open up a bit, I used to have the same problem you have several years ago but socializing and prayer helped break that Anxiety. In IT as you know socializing is a big part of what we do and communicating with your co-workers is important just don't get to comfortable saying anything around them but just be yourself (to a certain extent lol).
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Liquor helps. :)

I've found getting to know co-workers better on a one-to-one basis makes me much more comfortable in group settings. Knowing everyone in the room will definitely make meetings or outings a lot easier, and certainly will make day-to-day hallway interactions easier.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Small talk is good to at least find out what a person's job entails. I made sure when I was new and fixing a person's issue, that I would learn a few things about them. Where they came from, what their duties are, how they use IT specifically, etc. Helps a lot. Even if it is just rerouting a call and not sounding like an idiot. Although I have a small office, so it is easier for me.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With the amount of hours that most people spent at work, I think it's important to try to humanize some of the interactions with coworkers with topics that are not work related. It could be chit-chat or just plain listening to someone that wants to talk. I'm actually quite private and on the Myers-Brigs scale, I'm considered an introvert. I only have 2 coworkers that I consider friends. But I still make an effort to listen to other coworkers. I would like to think that most people feel that I'm approachable.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I find myself to be a social butterfly, I tend to be the one that gets others to open up and feel comfortable. I guess it has to be my personality because I get along and fit in with just about anyone. Like someone else has stated, you spend so much time with you co workers so why not socialize.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I have come to realize that just being open, bright and happy helps a lot. When you walk around with a smile on your face, most of the time, socializing is easier. That way you are putting people in a better mood and it just happens. We have an extremely friendly atmosphere in our office. I am new here and I can already be certain that I am going to become very close friends with one of the network guys. Also, you can go to lunch together in the lunch break and get to know your coworkers better.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    RogueJDRogueJD Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simple! Ride a bike that looks like the one you have as your avatar!

(I only say that because I modeled my build quite similar to that one!) (See attachments)

Joking aside - I'm sure you'll find common ground to talk about in your own time.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My best advice is to, first, listen to what others are talking about. If they're mentioning television shows, movies or events, try them out so you can have talking points and be on some have something in common. You can learn a lot just by listening. You can find out if you and the others share common activities or likes and dislikes. Another piece of advice is.. Try doing activities outside of work with one or a group of your co-workers. Say, for example, try going out to dinner with your co-workers.. Catching a bite to eat after a day of work.. Maybe pop into TGIFriday's and have a drink with them. If not a drinker, you can still have some snacks with them and chat.
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    some pplz on here have said in the past they dont really get friendly or socialize with their co-workers. I'm of the opposite...i spend most of my wk at work, so why not be friendly & socialize??? it makes the work environment easier in some ways...i've made a number of real good friends from past jobs i've worked at. just remember not everyone is gonna be or should be your friend. some pplz you just have to leave it at a conversational level, and thats it...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    just wait till its silent and be like
    I LOVE LAMP!

or something like that
    meh
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do you deal with people that stick to their own "group". Like the managers and engineers in our office dont socialize and and see help desk guys as inferior. I usually dont bother with them is they have that type of attitude.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I started here no one really talked or socialized much except to gripe about work, administration and the union. Now most of us attend AC Beerfest together.... When I leave I'll miss the people I work with.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    sizeon wrote: »
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do you deal with people that stick to their own "group". Like the managers and engineers in our office dont socialize and and see help desk guys as inferior. I usually dont bother with them is they have that type of attitude.

If you have a goal to one day to be in either of those positions, spark up conversation about what their background is or what they would recommend in order for you to work your way to where they are. You never know, it could lead to them mentoring you even.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    RogueJD wrote: »
    Simple! Ride a bike that looks like the one you have as your avatar!

(I only say that because I modeled my build quite similar to that one!) (See attachments)

Joking aside - I'm sure you'll find common ground to talk about in your own time.

That is one sweet looking bike! I'm hoping to get another bike again in the next couple of years, I had a 600 CBR F4i for a few years and now just want something that looks like, is comfy, and my wife will be comfortable riding on