Options

Need Resume review/critique

ph1x10nph1x10n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have just recently passed A+ and am now trying to get an entry level position to make a start in IT.
I feel my resume writing is very poor and realize how important it will be in getting an start in IT so I would be supremely grateful for some advice.
Bit of background, I have a strong customer service background and a good amount of experience with PC's, been building them for 15 years or so, from basic gaming systems to custom water cooling loops with fairly decent OCing etc so hardware is probably my strongest area. But knowing how to build a pc doesn't mean anything tbh if you can use lego, you can build a pc so that's not exactly a strong selling point.
Anyway thanks in advance for any input!

Hmm couldnt attach it so I'll post a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/swpiqm7sar7cnnr/newcvt1.1.pdf

Comments

• Options
    spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks good lulz..
  • Options
    I can't tell if your serious, the 'lulz' throws me off, it doesn't look too bad really but I don't consider it to be good.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    It's a good resume for the type of position you want to attain.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    Hmm was I just being too critical and over analyzing this then?
    As I liked the layout for the most part, maybe a bit too cramped, but its decent, I just felt the actual content was lacking.
    I guess it should be effective enough for helping obtain an entry level position right?
  • Options
    shabeermshabeerm Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do have experience working as a IT Recruiter.According to me a recruiter is not going to check out your NON-IT skills for a IT position.They quickly review your resume looking at the keywords (by using ctrl + F in windows).

-Highlight all your IT skills.
    -Include maximum Keywords in your resume related to the job you are applying(Only include keywords that you know.Dont copy paste from other resumes). Eg : If you are applying for a networking job include keywords like knowledge in routing,switching,ospf,eigrp,RIP etc
    -You can add your non-it exp in your resume if you want.But make sure its added at the end of your resume in a few lines.A recruiter wont read full resume word by word.So focus on ur IT skills giving less importance in non-it part
    -Dont explain your Non-IT job responsibilities in detail.Just client name,duration of the project and title role is enough [You can cut short recent night porter role]
    -Give maximum space in your resume to show IT related knowledge you have

All the very best for your JOB Search. :)
    For CCNA / CCNP notes visit my blog http://sysnetnotes.blogspot.in/