Is IP address ending in 0 valid?

zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can we assign a server interface the address of 10.x.x.0 ?
will it be valid and route able?

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depending on the subnet mask, yes.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks
    it is single address /32
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Typically I would avoid the .0s because it can confuse people.. Especially those who are not Subnetting savvy.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use .0 frequently on point-to-point links, and all the major vendors support it just fine. I agree there's some potential for those less subnetting-savvy to make mistakes, but no more so than with IPv6 addresses when you go from ::9 to ::a.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    NetworkVeteran, what subnet mask do you use with point-to-point links then?

P.S. Non subnetting-savvy people shouldn't configure network devices anyway :)
    sratakhin wrote: »
    /31 for IPv4 and /127 for IPv6.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sratakhin wrote: »

P.S. Non subnetting-savvy people shouldn't configure network devices anyway :)

Shouldn't.. but often do.. :)
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Shouldn't.. but often do.. :)

This is where you have user names and passwords to stop them doing these naughty things!!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    This is where you have user names and passwords to stop them doing these naughty things!!

user name: root
    password: cisco
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    dave330i wrote: »
    user name: root
    password: cisco

How did you know that??!! someone must have hacked my password DB..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    /31 for IPv4 and /127 for IPv6.

When in the world would someone use a /31? How does that work? The only addresses in that range ever would be your subnet ID and broadcast address. I consider myself extremely "subnet savvy" and I do not understand. Please explain!

EDIT: A quick google and it turns out that there is actually an RFC on this very thing... Huh, would've thought so! RFC 3021 - Using 31-Bit Prefixes on IPv4 Point-to-Point Links
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    /32 and /31 are very common in the network world. loop back addresses and point to point routed links they make perfect sense. I would say after /16 and /24 masks they are possible the most common ones I use.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I always used /30. I guess it's time to learn something new.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's why I'm a member of these forums. I learn new stuff all the time here! That RFC was one of the shorter ones and easy to read.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    Heh. Glad you figured it out. It's a handy trick to know. :)
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I have seen /31 used in a great many of campus LANS, have yet to see it from a provider over the WAN though
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures