Options

Passed 70-680, some advice.....

MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
I passed today with a score of 940! icon_thumright.gif

I thought the exam was very easy but I can see how this exam could be perceived as difficult if you hadn't already passed the 640, 642 and 643. Almost every question I got was command line with extremely esoteric questions relating to branchcache, netsh and dism. Typical MS trickery on other topics like backup and restore. Telling me for example that a shared file is on a public network is irrelevant and just there to throw you off.

If anyone is trying to do their MCITP: EA or MCITP: EDA the hard way, start with this one. The easy way is to knock out the monsters of Enterprise Admin first or get your MCSA: Server Admin then get the 680 out of the way.

Anyway, on to 70-647. I only have a month! icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Congratulations!
    Honestly, I found 70-680 much easier than 70-640.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, what did you use for revision and study if you don't mind me asking?
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • Options
    Congratulations, what did you use for revision and study if you don't mind me asking?

Just cbt nuggets and the MS press book. I had about 7 pages of review notes in word format but most of these were context command line stuff like netsh, dism and diskpart. Didn't really need to know the local group policies in much detail, just know they existed. Honestly, if you've used win7 as an admin for the last 3.5 years (since release ?) some of the question will be very obvious and easy.
  • Options
    Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and very well done on the pass. Currently working on my CCNA update and Windows 7 followed by 8 are the next exams.

Above all else, I've found that administrator experience and support in a live environment is better than any official guide!

Congratulation once again. What are your plans now?
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    well, I work in a NOC, so most of this wasn't relevant to my career path.. I hated this test, failed it several times and barely passed with a 720 when I did.. I probably will not take another MS test
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    well, I work in a NOC, so most of this wasn't relevant to my career path.. I hated this test, failed it several times and barely passed with a 720 when I did.. I probably will not take another MS test

I hear you. Microsoft exams are the most difficult exams in the IT (without cheating). MS asks lots of very esoteric questions and tried to trick you. Contrast this to say the CCNA exam where you better know how to subnet, load a config into a router, bring up and down interfaces, configure VPNs, etc - all stuff you'd really need to know in the real world.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft exams are the most difficult exams in the IT (without cheating). MS asks lots of very esoteric questions and tried to trick you.

I agree that Microsoft exams are overly difficult. I heard that Microsoft wanted to make their certs prestigious again when Vista was released, but I think they went overboard. An entry-level MCTS cert (70-680) should NOT be that damn difficult to pass. It isn't unusual to get questions asking about things that you've never heard of or seen before, and that's AFTER reading multiple official press books and study guides. IMO that's unacceptable on Microsoft's part.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    srabiee wrote: »
    MS asks lots of very esoteric questions and tried to trick you. Contrast this to say the CCNA exam where you better know how to subnet, load a config into a router, bring up and down interfaces, configure VPNs, etc - all stuff you'd really need to know in the real world.
    Absolutely agree! The Cisco exams are not easy either, but at least the Cisco Academy books (and Packet Tracer) do a good job of preparing on for the exam. Microsoft exam preparation pretty much requires in depth use of TechNet articles and blogs, as well as repeated use of labs.
  • Options
    DavidHoffmanJrDavidHoffmanJr Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @MeatCatalogue Congratulations of your pass!
  • Options
    duttyfootduttyfoot Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It isn't unusual to get questions asking about things that you've never heard of or seen before, and that's AFTER reading multiple official press books and study guides. IMO that's unacceptable on Microsoft's part.

now that is what really upset me when taking this test.