Options

Requesting Resume Review

ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been applying for summer IT internships since as early as February and only got one interview for a web development position. Since I couldn't find a job by the time internships began, I pretty much gave up hope of landing an internship this year. Now, I am trying to obtain a few certs (A+/Network+) before next summer, so that I may have a better chance at employment. I would be really grateful if you all could critique my attached resume. Please help me figure out the reasons why I was passed over (besides my lack of experience). I've blacked out personal info. Much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    geno1904geno1904 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would make it a one page resume. If your applying for IT job or intern only, loose all the non-related work from you "IT RESUME."
  • Options
    RogueJDRogueJD Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, my internet is restricted while at work, so I cannot download your resume for review.

Based on the above comments, I would argue the adverse, though.
    - Don't lose all the non-IT work. No offense to geno1904, but I hear that advice given all the time, and I vehemently disagree with it. Instead, demonstrate that the skills you obtained in your other positions relate to core skills of the job you're applying for.

Here's a good way to do that.
    - Go to onetonline.org.
    - Search for the title of your desired position, then in another window, search the title for the positions you've held in the past - no matter how seemingly unrelated. You'll be BLOWN AWAY by the amount of information that site holds.
    - Compare similar skills
    - When writing your resume, under job descriptions, list points using a STAR method. Summarize, then list Tasks, then list Actions and Results. Make a fluid statement that encompasses those items.

I have extensive experience and education in Tactical Law Enforcement. Nearly ZERO hands-on IT experience. I was fortunate enough to earn a Masters in IT, InfoSec using my military GI Bill. Using the above methods, I successfully related my seemingly-unrelated jobs to core tasks in IT: Training, SOP development, Autonomous Team Operation

Example: As a Lead Military Police Investigator:
    - Coordinated audits and inspections of the security posture of sensitive information in accordance with various regulations through development of Standard Operating Procedures and team-oriented training programs, resulting in zero deficiencies on seven executive-level yearly inspections.

TL;DR: Law Enfocement (Detective) bullet reads like an IT / InfoSec skill.
  • Options
    shabeermshabeerm Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITcognito wrote: »
    I've been applying for summer IT internships since as early as February and only got one interview for a web development position. Since I couldn't find a job by the time internships began, I pretty much gave up hope of landing an internship this year. Now, I am trying to obtain a few certs (A+/Network+) before next summer, so that I may have a better chance at employment.

I would be really grateful if you all could critique my attached resume. Please help me figure out the reasons why I was passed over (besides my lack of experience). I've blacked out personal info. Much appreciated.

I do have experience working as a IT Recruiter.According to me a recruiter is not going to check out your NON-IT skills for a IT position.They quickly review your resume looking at the keywords (by using ctrl + F in windows).

-Its better to make a one page resume highlighting all your IT skills.
    -Include maximum Keywords in your resume related to the job you are applying(Only include keywords that you know.Dont copy paste from other resumes). Eg : If you are applying for a networking job include keywords like knowledge in routing,switching,ospf,eigrp etc
    -You can add your non-it exp in your resume if you want.But make sure its added at the end of your resume in a few lines.A recruiter wont read full resume word by word.So focus on ur IT skills giving less importance in non-it part

All the very best for your JOB Search.
    For CCNA / CCNP notes visit my blog http://sysnetnotes.blogspot.in/
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bump. About to apply for a help desk position and need to tweak my resume.
  • Options
    KoryKory Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nitpick: use "diagrams" instead of pictures

Other than that it looks like a pretty good resume, if a bit long.

I might want to see something in there about printing, printers, network printing. If you have the experience in it, put it in. EVERYONE in IT hates printers, seeing someone acknowledge at least a modicum of experience with them is a plus.
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shabeerm wrote: »
    I do have experience working as a IT Recruiter.According to me a recruiter is not going to check out your NON-IT skills for a IT position.They quickly review your resume looking at the keywords (by using ctrl + F in windows).

-Its better to make a one page resume highlighting all your IT skills.
    -Include maximum Keywords in your resume related to the job you are applying(Only include keywords that you know.Dont copy paste from other resumes). Eg : If you are applying for a networking job include keywords like knowledge in routing,switching,ospf,eigrp etc
    -You can add your non-it exp in your resume if you want.But make sure its added at the end of your resume in a few lines.A recruiter wont read full resume word by word.So focus on ur IT skills giving less importance in non-it part

All the very best for your JOB Search.

Wow that is very good advice that I didn't know thanks! I have been reading others resumes on here to get an idea of how to revise my resume. Thanks for the one page resume idea. Maybe I am including too much information about my masters in education and teaching jobs I have had rather than my bachelors in IT with the computer certifications along with my prior work history in IT.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula