Options

The Art of Negotiation.

All,

What is your opinion on negotiating pay on an internal job? I always ask if the pay is negotiable, regardless of how much they offer, but I have never had an internal offer before. Curious if you guys think it would hurt to ask.

Also, what is your opinion on requested an accelerated performance review? Say you were offered a position at the lowest pay because you have no experience, would it hurt to request a 6 month performance review in lieu of pay negotiation? (Assuming you pull your weight during those six months.)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It largely depends on company culture but it never hurts to ask.

Good luck.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Absolutely nothing wrong with asking for more money. Always be prepared to justify your request.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That's funny. Today I helped one of my friends to write a letter asking exactly that. In her case it wasn't that hard because she is getting more and more responsibilities while her pay has stayed the same for 3 years. She even took on another position and merged it with hers so it was a no-brainer. In cases like this there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking. You should get what you deserve!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @undomiel

That is why I also brought up the idea of an accelerated Performance Review. I have zero professional experience in the job I am applying for, but I have done it for years and feel confident in my ability to quickly learn the job. I think if the negotiations get shot down (assuming they offer a position) I will attempt to get an accelerated review. That way I can prove my worth and the company have risked nothing by paying me more up front.
  • Options
    DavidHoffmanJrDavidHoffmanJr Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked for a major defense contractor and upon completion of my contract I had applied internally to another position in the same job class and level. They absolutely did not budge. Most likely due to the fact that it was the same job type and level.