Options

Help getting into the IT field...

Dabull25Dabull25 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to get into the IT field. I am 29, and graduated with a B.S. in 2008 in a completely unrelated field with no IT work experience. I am not certain the best pathway to get into IT. I took 2 classes at community college this spring, data communications and object oriented design. I really enjoyed the data com class. I am strongly considering the Cybersecurity masters program @ UMUC. I am just wondering if this is the right step to get into the field. Ive read some negative reviews about the program. I live in Baltimore Maryland so there are plenty of IT jobs around me. What should my next steps be? Are certifications a better way to get into it or should I enter a masters program? I a little bit confused here. Any advice is greatly welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    Any advice on getting into the field?
  • Options
    KurtisMKurtisM Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IT isn't just IT if you get me? It's split into various fields. You might want to research which path you wish to venture down first.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should definitely start getting certifications. If you like networking, Cisco is a good path.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I totally agree but it all depends on what area you want to specialize in so you can create a road map.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I really don't know how the job hunt would be if you applied with a Masters in Cybersecurity but didn't have any experience. So, if you decide to go that route then I would highly recommend you find an internship or a job in the IT industry while you are getting your Masters....if possible.

As for certifications. If you are interested in networking then I would definitely suggest looking into the CCNA. If you are interested in desktop and systems admin positions then I would look at A+ and Microsoft MCSA (desktop and/or server) certs. You could also look into the Security+ cert as an entry level security certification.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    @Dakinggamer87

This is not necessarily known to someone that hasn't even started. Sometimes not even for a few years of being in the industry.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    I really liked the networking aspect of the data com class I took. Something with information security would be very interesting to get into I think...
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    If that is the case, I would suggest you go the CCNA route and then do CCNA:Security after that.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Dabull25 - what kind of work experience do you have anyways? You may also try to get an IT support job in your current industry. Depending on your background and work experience, you may just want to start applying to entry-level IT jobs in your area and see what type of reception you get.
  • Options
    I currently work in animal research @ johns hopkins. I dont have any IT work experience in my past. Would I have any shot of landing an IT job without any experience?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would I have any shot of landing an IT job without any experience?
    Of course. Everyone has zero IT experience when they land their first IT job. Think about it! :p

Now, certifications, education, and customer-facing non-IT jobs are all helpful. If you mean, "Can I get my first IT job without doing anything to prepare for it?", then the answer is more likely to be "No."
    dbrink wrote:
    If that is the case, I would suggest you go the CCNA route and then do CCNA:Security after that.
    I concur. A look at what's in-demand in your company and area is also a wise idea.
  • Options
    AddixtionAddixtion Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dabull25 wrote: »
    I currently work in animal research @ johns hopkins. I dont have any IT work experience in my past. Would I have any shot of landing an IT job without any experience?

I am in the same boat as you. I graduated with a marketing degree and looking into breaking into the field. If I were you, I would get my A+ certification and Network+ land a help desk job and keep putting certs under your belt. That way you are getting experience as well. I'm trying to get into databases.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    dbrink wrote: »
    I really don't know how the job hunt would be if you applied with a Masters in Cybersecurity but didn't have any experience.

^This. You're better off getting certifications to start. Just having a bachelor's degree is a plus; a lot of us here on this forum have 4-year degrees that are not in IT. The Master's would be better in a few years IMO, after you have some work experience.