Options

WGU MS in IT Network Management

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
*posted this in the WGU threads but I'm thinking if you've graduated you wouldn't be browsing the threads... created a new one here*

If you are currently enrolled in the MS IT Network Management program or you've completed the degree... would you mind sharing your experiences with the program?

I have one year to go with NAU here in AZ to complete a BS in Tech Management... looking over what WGU has to offer... this might be a good fit for me. Just curious to know what you think of the program. If you did complete the degree... how long did it take you start to finish?

Thanks,
Hatch

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm interested to know as well. I plan on pursuing the MSIT: NM degree after I obtain my BSIT: ND&M
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm interested in some feedback and opinions as well as that is what I'm considering after I finish my BS:IT Security degree. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I swear I saw a thread from a recent graduate about a week ago... but I can't find it icon_sad.gif Hopefully someone will share their experience. :)
  • Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm half way through the program. Started it 5 months ago and plan to complete the program in another 3-4 months. If I haven't been slacking for the past two months, I'd probably be finished with the program in 2 more months. In my opinion, a majority of the program is very easy; easier than my undergraduate degree in Bio Sci from U.C. Davis. Then again, IT management is no where close to being in the same ballpark as biochemistry or genetics.

For an MS in IT Network Management, it is okay. I already have an MBA from a AACSB-accredited MBA program in IA Managment and 10+ years of IT experience. In terms of rigor, this program is no where close to being as difficult as my MBA program. I put more effort into my finance course alone than I did for this whole program combined so far. In regards to the domains of study, aka courses, they topics covered are decent and you should have seen most if not all of them before in your undergraduate program and career (if you currently work in IT). The study materials is some classes are great; in other they are inadequate - especially for a graduate level program. You will find that some course mentors are good, while others pretty much suck. Being a newer program, you will also find issues with the course materials. I have found discrepancies in several classes. Moreover, you'll find that there is a bit of high turnover rate for course mentors as well - with some of them not being really familiar with the syllabus and readings. Lastly, while some course mentors are quick to respond to requests; others are extremely difficult to get a hold of.

I would not recommend this program as the first graduate-level program for anybody. I am biased against distance-based graduate programs if you have not already experienced one at a B&M school. My reasoning for this is simple. WGU follows a self-study pedagogy, where you do not interact with a professor or classmates. Learning to present and defend presentations in front of an audience at a graduate level on a regular-basis, as well as provide meaningful discussion to advanced topics in a group setting are an essential part of most graduate programs - teaching you to think and problem solve on a deeper level than in undergraduate programs. Furthermore, learning to form, storm, and norm in groups / teams to successfully complete group work is important too. All of this is lost in WGU's format. I understand you get this in undergraduate programs, but it is not the same in graduate programs. Many of my classes were student led discussions for the most part with professors keeping the topics moving rather than teaching. I sorely miss this aspect at WGU. With that disclaimer said, you cannot be the cost, speed, and flexibility of WGU's program - just don't expect to learn tons of new information from it.

In regards to utility of the program, I think it will only be useful for a certain subset of people. If you do not have a decent amount of experience in IT (management) and are thinking of using this degree alone to get past that glass ceiling - be careful with this program; certifications and experience may be a better route. WGU is regionally-accredited, which is a plus but don't expect a lot of people to know about the school. My reasoning to enroll in the program is to use the degree as a resume-filler and to help me prepare for the CISSP.

If you have any further questions, feel free to e-mail or PM me.
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • Options
    Thank you very much for taking time to share your thoughts about the program, I appreciate it. Maybe over the course of a year they will straighten out a few things with the program. I'll take another look at the program 6 months from when I get closer to finishing the under grad degree.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
  • Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're welcome. I'll be completed with the program by then, so if you'd like further insight into the program, please feel free to PM me.
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Definitely helpful.

As popular as WGU is on these forums, I'm surprised there aren't more people on here that are enrolled in this program. Anyone else out there working on MSIT: NA and willing to share their thoughts?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    ahardinjr wrote: »
    You're welcome. I'll be completed with the program by then, so if you'd like further insight into the program, please feel free to PM me.

I will .. and thank you. I do appreciate it:)

Hatch
  • Options
    Is anyone else in this program?

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I heard positive reviews of WGU's undergrad programs. Just yesterday I applied there for a Masters in Information Security. I'm still not convinced that I'll be attending, but with the free application code (PM me if you need it) I figured I have nothing to lose. Apply and see what happens.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im in the program ... its not heavy in to tech degree its more of the tech managers type degree

i like it, but i do a lot of paperwork daily... if you do not like doing papers this degree is not for you
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    im in the program ... its not heavy in to tech degree its more of the tech managers type degree

i like it, but i do a lot of paperwork daily... if you do not like doing papers this degree is not for you

Thanks for the info. I'm pursing a tech management BS ... so this should fall right in to line with the undergrad degree. Good to know... and thanks again.
    Hatch
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I attended Webster University back in 2005 (took and passed 2 courses) I also recently graduated from WGU - MBA program. They both had pain points. One element I noticed while going to Webster was the amount of piggybacking from the other students. This may have been dumb luck, but in both courses we had big time loafers not pulling their weight. I remember my first course HR Management I had to write the whole outline because no one would return my emails. That put a bad taste in my mouth. With that said I think a brick and mortar is the way to go if the conditions are right. It sure looks better and usually regionally it has more pull. I don't regret attending WGU, it helped me land the job I have now, my boss later told me that was one of the reasons he brought me on. (Transparency is big around here).
  • Options
    Just checking in to find out if anyone else has some more info about the MS in Network Management.

Thanks,
    Frank
  • Options
    Wow. This degree is really unpopular around here. Especially compared to the MS: ISA

• Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Wow. This degree is really unpopular around here. Especially compared to the MS: ISA

Hoping others will share their experiences. :)

Hatch
  • Options
    Bump for info

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think this degree fits well with my long-term goal of being an IT Manager once I finish my BS degree at WGU!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ahardinjr wrote: »
    I already have an MBA from a AACSB-accredited MBA program in IA Managment and 10+ years of IT experience. In terms of rigor, this program is no where close to being as difficult as my MBA program. I put more effort into my finance course alone than I did for this whole program combined so far.

That is a vibe I got from looking over the syllabus. Nothing struck me as being possibly challenging. At least people in the MBA tracks talk about Financial Analysis and Decision Analysis providing some sort of challenge, and if you don't understand those well enough, you will be brutalized in the capstone course when you have to tie everything together.
    My reasoning to enroll in the program is to use the degree as a resume-filler and to help me prepare for the CISSP.

The MSISA might been better preparation for the CISSP. Did you not choose it because of your MBA focus?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    nikolairostofnikolairostof Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have thus far completed all of the assignments aside from the capstone and oral defense. I have done all of this in four and a half months. I haven't done any graduate coursework at any other college, but it seems that this program is a bit too easy. On the plus side, the assignments are fairly true to what one encounters in the field (writing/ analyzing proposals, cost benefit analyses, risk management, soft-skills.... I have none). One thing that struck me was the extreme lack of specificity in some of the assignments. I had some trouble with one course (I can't remember which one) until I spoke to the course mentor. He said the trick is to fill in the blanks as you wish, but make sure you have some evidence (references) to back up what you claim. Overall I would recommend this program if you want a go-at-your-own-pace graduate degree and you can force yourself to write about super boring stuff for months on end.

Suggestions:

The grading is ridiculous at times. I have resorted to putting each point of the rubric in bold at the start of its accompanying paragraph. I also repeat the theme of the point in the topic sentence. It may seem fickle, but I have had work sent back and literally resubmitted it with no other changes and have it accepted... more than once. Just break it down like you are talking to a child and you will be fine.

If you want to accelerate your classes let your mentor know. Early on they tend to resist, but if you push them (and actually get your work done) things go more smoothly.

Try to write a bit each day. Some of the classes are booooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnggggggg. It is too easy to walk away for a couple weeks and not realize it. These programs cost a little over $100 a week whether or not you do anything. If you can piss away that sort of money.... enjoy... otherwise, do something to move towards the goal post.

Google scholar is your friend. The WGU library has a good selection of articles, but the search function is terrible. Find what you want on scholar, and get the article from WGU. If it isn't available you can request it from the library. note: Google scholar will also format your citations for you. Under the article there is a link that says.... you guessed it... "cite." I have never had my citations rejected, so it must be good enough.

Conclusion:

If you want a highly engaging, deep program with good name recognition, look elsewhere. If you want an accredited degree that will force you to use real-world skills for $3k per semester, WGU MSIT-NM is certainly worth a look. I don't think there is any other regionally accredited MS degree that can be completed in 6 months.
  • Options
    Thanks for giving feedback on this program.

• Options
    Conclusion:

If you want a highly engaging, deep program with good name recognition, look elsewhere. If you want an accredited degree that will force you to use real-world skills for $3k per semester, WGU MSIT-NM is certainly worth a look. I don't think there is any other regionally accredited MS degree that can be completed in 6 months.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the program. I'm on the final stretch with the BS IT Management degree... a little break and then on to either this degree or the MS IT management degree.

Thanks again,
    Frank