Options

Windows 8.1 Preview thoughts

jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, got the ISO version of Windows 8.1 Preview. Since my current laptop was already running Windows 8, I backed up my data and did a clean install.

So far, no problems. All apps and data working fine. I really like the direct boot to desktop option. One thing that was changed is that Windows-F key option longer shows you desktop applications. You now have to go the Metro interface, then press the down arrow for a list of your desktop applications. I'm sure there's an easier way to see installed desktop applications.

I think this 8.1 version is little bit faster than Windows 8. This is all subjective because I'm still using the same SSD that was originally running Windows 8.

I don't recommend you upgrade to 8.1. Just do a clean install, it's way less issues. If don't believe me, go search online on 8.1 upgrade hassles.

Have fun with 8.1!

Comments

• Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I think I'll just stick with 7 for right now.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll have to see if it'll be on dream spark in a few months.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Installed the preview yesterday. Eh, not too huge an update.

The launch to desktop is buried in the task bar menu, almost like they didn't want you to find it.

The "start" menu isn't like the classic. You can right click it and do different things.

I haven't played with the new calculator, camera or paint apps. I really didn't mess around with too many Windows before so the new Multi windows isn't a boon unless I had one of the 1440P monitors.

I'm not sure if this is going to change opinion on Windows 8. It's still a tablet and desktop OS duct taped together. I don't have a laptop or monitors that have touch-enabled displays.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did they add or did it already have an option to group icons/apps into folders in the Start Menu screen? That was my big issue was with a tablet UI I wanted to organize stuff I access frequently into "groups".

I am not in a rush to upgrade though since I don't really use my PC much besides playing games. Seems I won't even use 90 percent of the new features.

nvm they did add this feature, nice. I don't even know why they didn't they should have realize plenty of people have adopted the iOS/Android touch way of doing things.

http://lifehacker.com/all-the-new-stuff-in-windows-8-1-587098156
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't deal with Metro on a desktop. Just can't freakin do it. Windows 7 is good until 2020. Let's see if Microsoft provides a decent solution for desktop users by then.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the 8.1 .iso as well, and will install it in a VM and kick the tires, to see how well I like it.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Going to see if this looks better than 7 on my retina macbook pro when booted into Windows.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ok damnit, so I decided to give 8.1 a try after vowing to steer clear of anything related to Metro. (including Server 2012) Clean install of the x64 version on my Dell D630 Core2Duo w/ 4GB RAM.

It was a rough ride until I installed the beta version of Start8 for Windows 8.1. Once I got my start menu back and essentially "disabled" Metro, it was smooth sailing from there. IE11 works fine, and all of the drivers in my 6-year-old laptop were automatically installed without any manual intervention.

The OS is fast and the consumer preview version is surprisingly stable. So far, so good. As long as I never have to look at Metro or one of the new "Apps," I think I'll be ok with this.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I'm sticking with Windows 3.1 for now. Why did they have to introduce the Start button in Windows 95 and then remove it again in Windows 8? Hard to keep up with the enhancements...