Options

IT projects

gamegame Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys

Thought I would make this post because I have being doing alot of projects lately and I wanna know where I stand.

So how do someone judge if a project is small, med size or large.

The work I do is I set up adfs for single sign on and set up fim and synchronize client ad into the cloud. I also provide technical trainning and make powershell scripts.

I work with universitys mostly and colleges so I deal with large numbers of users cause they are students. So the work I do affects 1000s of people.

Now since I do specialize work the projects run for 50 to 100 hours and budget is £12000 and I do all of the work.

Sorry for the crap grammar and spelling I am sleepy

So are these projects small, medium or large level.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome toTE forums.

The formal definition of project varies from company to company. I work at a large corporation where resource allocation and planning is managed closely. From a project cost accounting perspective, "small" is 100 to 1000 hours, "medium" is 1000 to 5000 hours, and "large" is over 5000 hours. All project must have a project code for project accounting and reporting.

Also for us, a project is work activity that spans 2 or more departments. By our definition, your description would not fit our definition of a project. It would be considered business-as-usual operational activity and tracked differently.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We don't even specify the size of projects. We just have them based on business needs.

One project I am working on has a budget of 2.5M with 1500 Mandays ... It is neither small, big or large ...

And same here - the size of your project is not what the project team would probably do but would be done alongside BAU ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p