Thoughts on Drexel University online Masters?

blinkme323blinkme323 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
My company has an agreement with Drexel University where I would get a 10% discount on tuition for a Graduate Degree (in addition to ~$5000 yearly assistance). Does anyone have any thoughts on this program? Or better yet, is there anyone who is currently enrolled / has graduated?

Odds are I would go for the M.S. in Information Systems, but the degree in Health Informatics would be a consideration as well. Both require 45 quarterly credit hours, but I would get anywhere from 6-9 of those waived due to workplace experience.

Information Systems Degree Online

Thanks!

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got in to this program, but decided to go to Stevens instead because i live in the NYC area. Its a great program from what i understand and if you live in the philly area im sure it will be even more beneficial. Go for it!!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am thinking about doing this next year :)
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was accepted to the program, I did my undergrad at Drexel and I happen to work on the online side (so obviously I am slightly biased). It is definitely a great program, we were 9th in the country for MSIS for quite some time. They are really good about waiving courses, but you'll still have to complete the credits (i.e. you'll tack on some more electives). When you apply and get accepted, you should receive an email from your academic advisor providing you with a forum to sign up too. It's free and I believe gives you another percentage discount on courses. Also, since you are being reimbursed by your company, Drexel offers the ability to delay payment for your course into the first week of the next term. Basically, you fill out the paperwork and pay $50 then you won't be required to pay till the next term. That way if your employer is quick you might be able to save yourself that headache.

In our area we're fairly well known and we are poised to make a major investment into our online learning programs. There is a lot in pipeline and courses will be enhanced fairly soon. I don't know much about the Health Informatics program, but I was under the impression that it appeared geared a little more towards Nurses. Obviously, apply and see if that is something that interests you because applying is free. If you have any other questions feel free to post or pm me, if I don't know I can speak to the people who do. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    In our area we're fairly well known and we are poised to make a major investment into our online learning programs. There is a lot in pipeline and courses will be enhanced fairly soon. I don't know much about the Health Informatics program, but I was under the impression that it appeared geared a little more towards Nurses. Obviously, apply and see if that is something that interests you because applying is free. If you have any other questions feel free to post or pm me, if I don't know I can speak to the people who do. Good luck!

Any info you can share on upcoming/new/updated/enhanced courses regarding INFOSEC?
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
    As far as online goes, I don't believe they are ramping up anything at the moment. But in regards to on campus, they've started a new Master's program:

Drexel ECE : MS in Cybersecurity

I suspect they might convert it to an online program at some point. Though they did just start this certificate program online:

Drexel.com | Online Certificate in Cybersecurity, Law and Policy
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As far as online goes, I don't believe they are ramping up anything at the moment. But in regards to on campus, they've started a new Master's program:

Drexel ECE : MS in Cybersecurity

I suspect they might convert it to an online program at some point. Though they did just start this certificate program online:

Drexel.com | Online Certificate in Cybersecurity, Law and Policy

OP may want to give them a call and ask. Even though it may not say it, they may still let you do it online. FYI when i applied to Drexel they had one of the top online programs.
    You can call, but I'm pretty sure not all the courses are offered online and in that case you'll be making the trip to Philadelphia. Also, any partner discounts apply to online programs only. Now I love Drexel and believe in the education, but do remember the cost. Most graduate courses workout to be about $3000 a year (before discounts). You only have seven years to complete the Masters so it's something that should be considered when you're applying to graduate schools. The MSIS does offer a concentration in Security and all of those courses are available online. Also, you have the option of completing a second Masters in Library and Information Science. It doesn't tack on too much time and most students combine it with the specialization in Competitive Intelligence and Knowledge Management. A very mean combo to have when you complete it and Competitive Intelligence is definitely a field poised for growth.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • blinkme323blinkme323 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can call, but I'm pretty sure not all the courses are offered online and in that case you'll be making the trip to Philadelphia. Also, any partner discounts apply to online programs only. Now I love Drexel and believe in the education, but do remember the cost. Most graduate courses workout to be about $3000 a year (before discounts). You only have seven years to complete the Masters so it's something that should be considered when you're applying to graduate schools. The MSIS does offer a concentration in Security and all of those courses are available online. Also, you have the option of completing a second Masters in Library and Information Science. It doesn't tack on too much time and most students combine it with the specialization in Competitive Intelligence and Knowledge Management. A very mean combo to have when you complete it and Competitive Intelligence is definitely a field poised for growth.

Thanks for all of the great insight Grinch. I just shot an email to my company's admissions liason there, so I will see what comes out of it. I would hope to finish the degree in a max of 3-4 years as I'm already 30 (I wish I had done this right after I got my B.S. but hindsight is 20/20 I guess).
  • TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually looking at enrolling in this program in the Fall. It seems to be very highly regarded within the industry. The dual masters option is especially intriguing.
    In the Northeast, Drexel is very highly respected due to the quality of all of our programs. Though, once you are about 200 miles or more outside of Philadelphia it's less known. Case in point a number of places I interviewed at out of the area were like what's Drexel? But that is most schools minus the big names. The dual masters is an awesome option and one I think anyone who had classes waived should consider. You still have to complete all the credits so adding some LIS courses is easy enough without extending your time too much.

Master of Science in Information Systems < 2012-2013 Catalog | Drexel University <---this will give you the info in regards to course and the dual Masters option.

As I said, the university as a whole is making online a pillar of it's future. Being an urban campus, there is only so much space to house students and we now own everything from 30th Street to 34th and from Chestnut to Passyunk Ave. Given that situation the only option is to push for online students and give them all the support they need (specifically so that they do not feel disconnected from the on-campus students). This mean new course design, more professor, and support staff (specifically the aim to provide online students with the same job help that on campus students get). Also, not that this pertains to the MSIS, but they've begun a hybrid RN to BSN program where students can go online and on campus at the same price to complete the work more quickly. I also know they've begun a pilot for the RN to BSN program where tuition rates are locked in for three years. As we all know, most colleges raise their cost every year and I think if this proves successful they may extend it to other programs.

Just somethings to keep in mind!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    TerminalB wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at enrolling in this program in the Fall. It seems to be very highly regarded within the industry. The dual masters option is especially intriguing.

The dual Masters caught my eye as well. Seems like a no-brainer since there are only a few extra classes to take for that option.
    The dual Master's option is one that a lot of people overlook, but that I feel will definitely set you apart among other applicants. Knowledge Management is something that will definitely ramp up because company's have a ton of information that they do nothing with. So who better to hire then someone with the education to nothing catalog and sort it, but also setup the systems to house it? Competitive Intelligence is an interesting field that I'd say a lot of company's have an interest in, but probably aren't speaking about too much.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just my .02. What do you plan to do with a M.S.? What is your career goal? These degree's are interesting, but what do you hope to achieve with them?

I ask these questions because I'm thinking about them myself :)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The dual masters program looks pretty darn interesting.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Just laying the foundation for the future really. I'm fairly entrenched at my current company, but I think having this will 1) set me apart from some of my peers 2) allow an easier path to a management position should I choose that route and 3) if I were to leave my company or god forbid we're laid off, the Masters would certainly aide in my next job search.

Also, my company will be paying for a large portion of this, so I figure why not at least give it a shot while I'm still (relatively) young.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like Drexel averages $3,255/class. Looking over the course listing, I found 18 courses required to graduate - $58,590. Does this seem expensive or on par? It's obviously nowhere near the price of WGU.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    It's about the same as the total cost of an MS program at CMU. Too much for a school that is nowhere close to CMU and Stanford.
    Stanford, no we aren't close to that. But comparing us to CMU would really be based on programs and for some we are comparable. You are looking at about $3300 a course, but that's prior to any discounts. All iSchool students can receive a discount just by signing up for an online forum that is free. I'll be the first to tell you not to go into hawk to pay for school because I'm paying student loans now and it sucks. But at the graduate level name matter's even more (especially if you are looking to teach). We're just about on par with other colleges in our pricing (maybe a bit higher).

The best thing to do is to do a true cost benefit analysis and see what makes sense. Time you have to devote to a program, finances (i.e. will your company pay a portion, can you afford to pay a portion), your end goals, and the reputation of the institution you attend. As I've always said, if you are in California a lot of the firms that aren't huge probably won't know Drexel. If you're on the East Coast, chances are they will. Name definitely means something because it will open doors and you never know the connections you could gain.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff