Options

System Administrator jobs

sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is well.

Hey guys I wanted your thoughts about job adverts that list a lot of job requirements for e.g an arm long of experience with all sorts of technologies from windows to Cisco to San to VMware to exchange etc

Do they actually want people that have all those requirements and if so is it really possible.

iam currently a junior system administrator with the following certifications/experience:

MCITP:EA
exchange 2010
VCP 5

Iam worried that I won't be able to meet the recruiters job requirements

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The shop I work at has an extremely small IT department (3 Sys Admins and 2 Sr. Engineers). The job description for the Sys Admin position list a wide variety of technologies like you mention. They expect us to be able to work with all of these technologies. I didn't know anything about VMWare or exchange but I have been given the opportunity to learn as I went along and I've come a long way.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Generally, small companies have a tendency to look for people with a wider skill set because their staff isn't that big and they can't have a different guy for everything. However, like CodeBlox said, you shouldn't worry IMO. What you don't know you will learn. Also, when you apply for a job, you don't need to fill all the requirements they listed to get hired. Many people get hired without meeting every requirement for the job in question.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You have to be able to learn on the fly and quickly. That really goes for most IT positions.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sina2011 wrote: »
    Iam worried that I won't be able to meet the recruiters job requirements

And if it's anything like the laundry lists I've seen on some job postings, nobody else will be able to either.