Options

TechNet shutting down

hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service | ZDNet

I've never used the service because I could always get free copies through school or the CyberPatriot program but I've known a lot of people who did.

Comments

• Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Ugh, that's horrible. Technet was great for labbing for exams.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    That really sucks for all of us who are running a VM environment and don;t want to play with silly 30-90 trials. I want to have my own domain like I currently do and be able to spin up any Microsoft server I wanted. This really hurts those who like to have their own small lab.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Microsoft just does some bas ackwards stuff sometimes. Although it's pretty safe to say it was abused for more than what it was intended for. The only good thing is that they still continue to do MSDN. At least my work test environments won't suffer.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Has it only been 15 years? Seems like TechNet has been around ever since the MSDN subscription. I bet that I still have CDs going back to 1998 for TechNet and 1995 for MSDN (just in case I ever need DOS 6.22 or MASM again icon_lol.gif).

UPDATE: I'm reading through the comments on that ZDNet blog article (some are very good) and it's been verified that TechNet was around since before 1993. I though so.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man, lame. Even more reason for me to starting learning more Linux/Unix.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my email this morning. Kinda bummed. We will see what the future has in store (which is apparently not much).
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I've been a proponent of TechNet for almost a year, and was intending to upgrade when renewal time came around. I was glad to move away from the free evaluation test lab, and now there will be little choice.

Like it has been mentioned, maybe it is indeed the time to take the leap into Linux.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wonder what if anything this does for dreamspark accounts
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got the email today. I was extremely disappointed with the news.

This was one area Microsoft got right. A program developers and cert pursuers can use to get hands on experience on.

At least there's Junosphere and the optimism attached to Cisco VIRL.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's an interesting decision by Microsoft. I don't really make much use of my own TechNet subscription but it also seemed like a reasonable expense to have around for the few times a year when I want to play with some new Microsoft package to see if I like it.

I'm not necessarily surprised by the move. The way that most people actually use TechNet isn't really as intended by Microsoft. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft will try to fill the gap that was never really filled - I.e. IT Professionals who want to run a Microsoft lab long term for more than just testing.

I realize that a lot of people use the subscription to run labs, study, etc. But TechNet was never intended for that purpose. And MSDN is usually out of the reach of most individuals except for the MSDN OS subscription that that doesn't include any development or server tools.

I really do think that Microsoft is making a mistake by not offering a way for younger professionals. And for decision makers that like to play around with their technology, it will simply mean that they would be more open to reviewing competitive solutions.

I'm off to sign up for an account with Oracle.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wtf. I just got a technet this year. Sucks, guess ill never get an mcp.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I got it for my office just last year. For the 2 free Microsoft support calls alone it was worth the money. (Also got the upper sub at a discount.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I had a free Technet subscription for a year after I earned my NT4 MCSE in 1999. I haven't had one since and it hasn't impacted my Microsoft studies. It's still a shame, though, some people have used it to build elaborate home labs.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    This is certainly a disappointment
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like some others I have never had use for Technet as work has always been great providing software.

But I see a lot of people a bit sad about this discesion.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Now if only Microsoft would just release a final end-of-life free build of Windows XP. I know a lot of people who got TechNet subscriptions just to get extra copies of XP after it went off the shelves because they needed it for gaming.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still have my MSDN. I'm good. icon_thumright.gif
    wonder what if anything this does for dreamspark accounts

I have DreamSpark too, though I haven't used it since mid-2009. It is a similar service targeted at a different audience. So I don't foresee it being affected by TechNet's shutdown.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought you meant the actual Technet website, however that is sad news about the subscription server. It was one of the most popular subcriptions on the net. I was never a subscriber but I've had jobs where I reaped the benefit of having it

Any idea what's next?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Now if only Microsoft would just release a final end-of-life free build of Windows XP. I know a lot of people who got TechNet subscriptions just to get extra copies of XP after it went off the shelves because they needed it for gaming.

I see this happening again for Windows 7. I'll resist upgrading to 8 till my dieing day. That said, I think anyone who is still on XP is an idiot. Sorry, but my opinion.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This has upset me pretty bad. I've had technet since 2008 and use it a lot. I have a home domain that I use in all my studying, I have VMs sitting around with SharePoint, SQL, etc that I have licensed but don't use unless I'm doing cert stuff or trying to teach myself something new. That won't go away and I'm going to grab as much stuff as I can before my account expires next June. It really discourages me from getting that MCSE or thinking about upgrading though.

I thought Technet was great but I know it was being abused. I saw comments from people about "How am I supposed to make money when I sale computers to my customers without a technet subscription?" so I could understand pulling it. It still makes me sad though.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This is disappointing as I was planning to get a subscription as soon as I graduate & would once again have more time to study.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's going to be a pain to be sure, but most of the time I'm using a sysprepped template in VM Workstation from which I deploy a linked clone, so every time I spin up a Windows box, I've got the full 180 days or whatever it is these days. Most scenarios I'm labbing will be done by that time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Years ago people I knew were pirating the heck out of it. I remember wondering why the XP license my buddy gave me would no longer activate lol.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Yes, MS has revoked a bunch of product activation keys, but not every OS activation key works on every installation of the OS the key is for. Each key is tied to a specific set of Production ID numbers. A key will only work on an OS with a specific licensing (OEM vs. VL), language, installed service pack, etc. It's very frustrating when yiou have a pile of legitimate OS install disks, many sheets of activation keys from your MSDN and TN subscriptions, and you can't find the two that work together you need. (I know, I know, poor key management on the part of the subscriber is not MS' problem.)
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    That sucks! At least there is a year of it left...

There is also the Microsoft Partner Action Pack. 2 x Server 2012 licenses with 10 CALS, 1 x Exchange, SQL Server SharePoint & Lync licenses with 10 CALS each, 10 x Windows 8 Pro and 10 x Office 2013 Pro licenses. Which should be enough for most IT Professionals... only US$329

Unless you need access to recent downlevel systems, which is going to be a significant portion of current Technet users
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe you have downgrade rights. If you check the Excel file with the software listed - (click on "Download the full list of products" under "Software Evaluation") you have 5 columns. TechNet Standard, Professional, Professional with Media, Action Pack & MS Competency Partners.

So the software listed under Action Pack includes most of the Standard evaluations except for some RTM versions where the R2 version is available such as SQL Server 2008 R2. I am assuming they are not taking this away from Microsoft partners as well though.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I believe you have downgrade rights. If you check the Excel file with the software listed - (click on "Download the full list of products" under "Software Evaluation") you have 5 columns. TechNet Standard, Professional, Professional with Media, Action Pack & MS Competency Partners.

So the software listed under Action Pack includes most of the Standard evaluations except for some RTM versions where the R2 version is available such as SQL Server 2008 R2. I am assuming they are not taking this away from Microsoft partners as well though.

Do you still get access to download the downlevel versions, though, or just rights to use them? I haven't seen an action pack since the days they mailed out CD's
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I couldn't tell you for sure as I don't have an Action Pack but I think you just use the TechNet website like a normal subscription - if it does, it would enable you to download downlevel versions. What happens to the TechNet website after they stop new subscriptions is anybodys guess.. You could use the online chat and get confirmation though.
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, lame. Even more reason for me to starting learning more Linux/Unix.
    That really sucks for all of us who are running a VM environment and don;t want to play with silly 30-90 trials. I want to have my own domain like I currently do and be able to spin up any Microsoft server I wanted. This really hurts those who like to have their own small lab.
    I do install and run a number of Microsoft OSs, but I would say that the lion share of my OSs are UNIX variants.