So Many Questions.

newbee23newbee23 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I am new to forums so pardon me if I am doing this totally wrong. Well currently I am studying part 4 of the CCNA. I am trying to get certified before the deadline coming up in September I believe, the problem is really do not know where to go from there. I am trying to get my Associates degree in applied science by the end of the 2014 spring semester. I want to know if I should keep going and try to get my CCNP or if I should get my CCNA cert and take supporting classes and try to get a job. I also want to know what you guys think about the difficulty of the CCNP classes or exams depending on how you are studying for them. I have zero experience working in the field. Although my college has what I think is a great lab for CCNA practice.

Comments

• boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Are you getting your degree or stopping at the associates? The post was a bit unclear. But you should get your degree that should be your #1 goal. I personally think you should get work experience before taking on the CCNP test.
  • JoeBirdsJoeBirds Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I think you should really focus on your CCNA first. The test is not easy and should not be looked past. Cisco recommends at least 2-3 years of hardcore networking experience before you tackle the CCNP and they create the test based upon that recommendation. So to answer your question, yes, the CCNP is very difficult. It's composed of 3 tests, not one, that drill on Routing, Switching, and Troubleshooting.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since neither an associate's nor a zero-experience CCNP provide a good ROI, I would focus on either a B.S. degree or a CCNA plus experience. Those both offer a much higher ROI per hours/dollar of effort invested.
    The CCNP certification is appropriate for those with at least one year of networking experience
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As of August I will have one year of experience in a various number of IT related skills, working with AD, on site support..etc. I'm hoping I will have my CCENT by then and maybe CCNA around the end of the year first part of 2014. I'm trying to make sure that I'm not studying to the test, I want to know this. The reason being is in August we are planning on putting our house up for sale and moving to Florida, I'm hoping my AAS in Computer Info. Systems, a little bit of experience and a CCENT/CCNA will get me a decent job there. It's not the 2 to 3 years I'd like to get in before moving but I don't have a whole lot of control over it right now. It's possible it could take up to a year to sell the house so, I figure the longer that takes the better.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    newbee23 wrote: »
    I want to know if I should keep going and try to get my CCNP or if I should get my CCNA cert and take supporting classes and try to get a job.
    My first reaction is: first you need to pass the CCNA exam(s) before contemplating CCNP or higher; cart way before the horse. But to your question: someone with CCNA + real world job experience is going to be much more sought after than someone that has CCNP but no experience. Job experience is probably the number one thing employers look for, more so than degrees and certs. The ideal candidate will have the trifecta: experience AND Bachelor's degree AND relevant certs.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    The gang is right. Definitely focus on getting a job, experience trumps all. Furthermore, once you have the experience, the certs will come a lot easier.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.