Options

Ccnp route / eigrp

aocferreiraaocferreira Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I've just finished EIGRP content and I'm now ready to go to OSPF. Anyway, there are some concepts that i'm not dominating yet (distribute lists using route-maps and IP prefix lists)...

Are these concepts that important?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's important for the exam, it's important if you want to work in a ccnp level job. You need to know this stuff so you should go over it again until you understand fully.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Absolutely! If you asked me "Is EIGRP important?", I'd say you could go a career without using it, but route-maps matter a great deal. Filtering routes differs a bit by protocol, but these are tools that apply to just about any routing protocol.
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Hmm do you guys actually use distribute lists in the real world? i know it's important for the ROUTE test but i have yet to see it in a production network.
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    We use them at work. One of the secure networks that I work on filters out any routing updates except what is required.

Pain in the butt when we add new services!!!
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your going through the FLG or OCG don't feel overwhelmed just yet on the distribute/prefix list stuff. There is reading in the books that you have yet done which I am sure will clear up a lot of things for you.
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm do you guys actually use distribute lists in the real world? i know it's important for the ROUTE test but i have yet to see it in a production network.

Definitely, we use distribute lists all over our network where the routing protocols used are eigrp and bgp. We're dual multihomed and run bgp with 2 isp's so use distribute lists for the ibgp connections and also to filter networks advertised/received from the mpls connections to the other offices.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    If your going through the FLG or OCG don't feel overwhelmed just yet on the distribute/prefix list stuff. There is reading in the books that you have yet done which I am sure will clear up a lot of things for you.

^^ This. The EIGRP topics covering in those books touch on the topics but the more in depth understanding comes from the chapters that cover route filtering. I don't like how they briefly touch on route filtering in the EIGRP / OSPF sections, I think it should be left completely to its own sections.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi