Graduate needing CCNA advice!

LMH89LMH89 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the TechExams.net forum and I'm hoping someone could please advise me on the CCNA exam. As noted in the thread title I have recently graduated from University (I'm in the UK) and one of the modules allowed me to join the Cisco Network Academy where I completed the 4 semesters over the 3 years and passed them all.

I'm now at the point where I'm highly interested in gaining the CCNA Certification but I am unsure as to what the next step is and I need some clarification as to whether I have the right idea, I know there is the option of taking the 1 or 2 exam route and personally I would prefer to do the 2 exams based on what I have read so far.

Now do I have the right idea in that it will be the CCNA: Routing and Switching exam? I've noticed that they have CCNA Wireless, VOIP and Security for example so I'm finding it to be a lot of information to take in!

Also, in order to prepare for the exam I have Packet Tracer and I think I may be able to access the real hardware at University depending on whether they let me. :) And in regards to books, is the Todd Lammle Study Guide sufficient or do you recommend anything else? Based on the sticky threads I have read I think I have enough but any advice is appreciated!

I'm hoping its a case of refreshing my mind with all of the content rather than having to relearn everything. WAN technologies is probably my biggest weakness!

I apologise for sounding like a complete Cisco beginner but with so many Cisco certifications available I'm a little confused. icon_surprised.gif

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ow do I have the right idea in that it will be the CCNA: Routing and Switching exam?
    That's the most common starting point, and probably aligns best with your previous studies.
    is the Todd Lammle Study Guide sufficient or do you recommend anything else?
    Either the Lammle or Odom book is plenty for the exam theory.
    I have Packet Tracer and I think I may be able to access the real hardware
    Packet Tracer is sufficient. Real equipment is nice, too!

You're on the right track. :)
  • LMH89LMH89 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your reply, I can start to prepare at least! :)

Am I right in saying that the exams will be changing? On several pages that I have found it states that I have until the 30th September? Does this mean the curriculum is changing or would I be able to take the exam after this date?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LMH89 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the exams will be changing? On several pages that I have found it states that I have until the 30th September? Does this mean the curriculum is changing or would I be able to take the exam after this date?
    That's correct. The previous exam is being phased out, and a new one has been introduced. Since it's possible to go from zero to CCNA in two months, and you already have some background, the existing exams should be fine for you if you don't dawdle.

The new ICND1 books are already out. The new ICND2 books aren't due out until October.
  • LMH89LMH89 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's great, thank you for your help! I'll order the Lammle book and look into the Odom material as well. :)