Prep Time - How much is enough?

mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I find myself with some free time at work and I'd like to knock out the CCENT cert prior to September 30th. I've already got Network+, however that was three years ago and I'm extremely rusty with networking stuff. If I set my deadline for my first attempt at September 1st, will that be enough time to blow out the cobwebs and learn what I need to know if I spend a couple hours a day at work reading and an hour each night going over the labs and studying?

For resources I've got the official Cisco Press book for ICND1, the Sybex Study Guide, and I just got Odom's Network Simulator for CCENT. I also have two 3550's at home.

Thoughts and suggestions for other study materials?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think that would be enough time for the ICND1 as long as you don't procrastinate too much. It all comes down to the individual though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Having N+ will give you a good foundation for ICND1 (& 2 if you select to take it).

Note this isn't about blowing out cobwebs. N+ & ICND1 are 2 completely different exams. Even assuming your N+ knowledge was not "extremely rusty", this is still a very cramped period of time to achieve being prepared to take the ICND1, IMO.

As for your materials:
    1. I liked Odom's ICND1 book. It was a great read.
    2. I did not use the Sybex Study Guide for ICND1, but I did get it for A+ because I liked the way it was organized.
    3. The network simulator you have, I have heard numerous negative reviews of. I would advice against it & suggest Boson instead.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that would be enough time for the ICND1 as long as you don't procrastinate too much.
    Yup! My first CCNA attempt (no experience in the field) took two weeks. There's a "CCNA in 60 days" program online. Even part-time, as long as you focus and put in a couple hours each weeknight, you should have no problems. Note, this schedule would not allow for many "detours" such as getting side-tracked for a week to build a lab or focus on some emergency at work.

(Of course, if you have full-time to prepare, this schedule would become quite easy!)
    I've got the official Cisco Press book for ICND1, the Sybex Study Guide
    Either one is fine. Pick the book that best speaks to you, and keep with it.

Also, allow time for failing one of the exams OR consider including practice tests within your study portfolio.
  • CarnbyCarnby Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you could do it. But you will need to discipline yourself and study every single day for 2 to 3 hours until the day of the test.

I myself have been studying for CCNA since June 27th, and I am taking the exam on August 2nd. I have been following the plan I suggested. Each day I read a chapter from two books, make flash cards, read over the flash cards, practice subnetting, and practice labs. It has helped a lot. I don't think I could have made as much progress as I have without making sure to study every single day.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck!
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Id say your main goal is to reverse eng subnetting in less than a minute
    Just automatically go and solve those subnetting questions

If you can do that, the rest of the exam doesnt take that much time

I think sept 30 is a more than fair goal.
    meh
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stay focused and determined!! :)

You should be able to do it in that timeframe
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63