Options

Alternative to DynDNS? "dynamic DNS updating and hosting"

cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have been using DynDNS' free DNS and Dynamic IP update for a while. It allows my router to dynamically update my IP from my ISP when ever it changes so I can remotely access my home server and any services ect I have running. example RDP, Subsonic music streaming, remote labing ect.

Prior till now I used their free options with was "myhostname.Theirfreehostnameoption.net". They recently changed thier policies and if you didn't log into their web site and manage your host name at least once a month they would delete it. Well they just deleted mine, after it had been working for close to 2 years now. I'm pretty pissed.

So if I want the exact same service I had before it will not cost me $25 a year. Yeah that's not to bad but still a little up set over it.

Just looking for other options out there and what else all of you use for similar access?

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been using mine for probably 10 years now and I'd hate to have it get deleted.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use freedns.afraid.org

Never had a problem with them and Ive used them now for 6+ years. I have 2 accounts...

1 where i use a free "myhost.theirdomainname.com" and 1 that uses my own domain name.

I pay the $60 for the account using my own domain. They do offer a free option but the paid option gives you a "stealth flag" which keeps my domain private to me only. Without it, your hostname becomes part of the "available" domains for other users to use for free.

P.S. as an added benefit, they're one of the DynDNS providers supported directly by dd-wrt.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From their site:

https://freedns.afraid.org/faq/#14

[FONT=verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Question: (FAQ item #14)[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I want to add my own domain into here, what do I need to know?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Answer:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, Helvetica, Arial]The most important thing about hosting a domain you need to understand here, is that there are 3 domain states you can set your domain to as a domain owner. They are:

1). Public - If you add your domain as public, this shared queue will not be used at all, others will be permitted to attach to subdomains off your domain without involving your approval.

2). Private - If you add your domain as private, then you will be able to screen your domains of which you decide to allow and deny. While domains are in the shared queue pending acceptance or not, they WILL function on the global Internet. It is assumed that you will support this concept, and approve the majority, and only deny those that you deem offensive or slanderous.

3). Invisible / Stealth - If you add your domain as invisible (premium members only), your domain will not be available for anyone else but you to use, and the shared queue will not be used at all. Invisible gives you completely private domain hosting where no one else may attach to your domain. Also some domains go in invisible by default if they come from other free DNS providers and the like, then they are not shared. If you believe your domain is being incorrectly marked as invisible and wish to share it, contact me.

If someone is using your domain for illegitimate purposes, please contact me via email for prompt assistance / resolution. You may view domains others are using on your domains by clicking domains, and then "view hosts". If you have a public or private domain, and have just became a premium member and wish to remove shared hosts from your domain, contact me and I can provide an inverse strip of subdomains to your domain.
    [/FONT]

Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cruwl wrote: »
    They recently changed thier policies and if you didn't log into their web site and manage your host name at least once a month they would delete it.

Wasn't that their policy for like - forever ? I cannot remember them NOT deleting accounts if unused for a while ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Before the more recent change, if your router logged in and updated your IP they counted that as logging in, now you have to manually log into the website portal.

I ended up going to No-ip.org setup a new one. works just fine in dd wrt, and its free. hopefully it stays that way
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't want to pay for something like then do what I did on my dads PC for support purposes, have a script running which sends your public IP to you via email in an interval or when it changes.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    no-ip I use, works with dd-wrt
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cruwl wrote: »
    So I have been using DynDNS' free DNS and Dynamic IP update for a while. It allows my router to dynamically update my IP from my ISP when ever it changes so I can remotely access my home server and any services ect I have running. example RDP, Subsonic music streaming, remote labing ect.

Prior till now I used their free options with was "myhostname.Theirfreehostnameoption.net". They recently changed thier policies and if you didn't log into their web site and manage your host name at least once a month they would delete it. Well they just deleted mine, after it had been working for close to 2 years now. I'm pretty pissed.

So if I want the exact same service I had before it will not cost me $25 a year. Yeah that's not to bad but still a little up set over it.

Just looking for other options out there and what else all of you use for similar access?
    I've used DynDNS for a few years now as well, and recently had to reinstate my service and found out about the $25 per year cost you mentioned. They do however reduce the cost if you subscribe for multiple years, which I did for a few years.
  • Options
    ccsia123ccsia123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I am new to this field. My initial setup was done by the installer using dyndns and their service sucks. Any idea how can I setup myself? any advice will be great! thanks
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been using mine for probably 10 years now and I'd hate to have it get deleted.
    Oops.....
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    mpmanmpman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use the free dyndns provider myonlineportal.net which IPv6 can also. There are many clients support such as DD-wrt, Fritz box, Android, ddclient and inadyn.
    The registration is very easy. So simple I have not seen it from any other supplier.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Namecheap as my registrar, if you own any domains you might look into your registrar as some of them now offer dynamic DNS as a free service if you use their nameservers and add an A record that you update with your current IP with a small app on your PC.