MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technitian. SHOULD I START NOW?

WeeberWeeber Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
(70-680 and 70-685 tests)

Hey guys,

It's quite urgent as I have a deal that I have to decide on by tomorrow.
I know the course will be retired in Jan 2014 but would you say it is still worth getting the course? I have no professional background in IT and want a IT help-desk support job.

From what I know not many computers will run Windows 8 as it more of a laptop/portable device platform.
If it will at least make obtaining the next certification easier I would pull the trigger,
what are your suggestions? Greatly appreciated!

Comments

• GDL-LCGDL-LC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would, it's a base cert for client machines. The core info will stay with you over client progression.
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    If you have no professional background in IT, Microsoft is not the place to start.

Start with A+ then get a network+ or CCNA. Without understanding computer hardware and networking, you wont understand anything. Branchecache, deploying windows over fileshares, ipv4 and ipv6, subnetting, etc are all major and fundamental topics of 680 and 685.
  • kingrobkingrob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have no professional background in IT, Microsoft is not the place to start.

Start with A+ then get a network+ or CCNA. Without understanding computer hardware and networking, you wont understand anything. Branchecache, deploying windows over fileshares, ipv4 and ipv6, subnetting, etc are all major and fundamental topics of 680 and 685.

I have to agree with MeatCatalogue.

You need a solid foundation to start with, and when you do the Server + client Microsoft exams, they expect you to know that already.

Will be difficult to jump in with no understanding of the basics.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And those test expire in July last I heard, the MCITP title will expire but the tests will still get you MCSA:Windows 7
    God deserves my best
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Agree with what others have said - do not start off your certification path with MS certs if you have zero experience. Start off with more basic certifications like A+, Net+ or Server+.