Wendell is confusing me re VTP

havenladhavenlad Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Morning all

I am currently reading through Wendell's ICND2 book and have hit a confusing part - I am hoping somebody can help please.

He has just taken me through a config of VTP on a server and a client connected to each other. The server has the latest revision of the vlan database. They sync and this updates the client. He does show vtp status on both and both show the ip address of the server as the last one to change the vlan config.

He goes on to say "Both instances of show vlan status (server and client) show the ip address of the last switch to update the vlan config.

He then says

P42 - "Only on VTP servers, the show vtp status command ends with a line that lists that switch that identifies itself when advertising VTP updates

Do the last 2 statements not contradict?

Either they both tell me which one last updated the config, or just the server does.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best way to solve these sorts of question is to lab them up. Remember, you're going to need hands-on practice to have a good chance to pass the actual exam, and that includes knowing how to configure/validate VTP.

The client/server "show vtp status" output at the below link should clarify his meaning.

How well do you know VTP?
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Good article NetworkVeteran. *clips to evernote*

That got my brain ticking...I refused to scroll down as far as the answer until I worked it out. icon_smile.gif
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • flattleyflattley Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seconded. Good article. I always thought a server would never update from a client. Guess you learn something new all the time. Just labbed it up in PT and watched it do its magic