Gateway of last resort

jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,
Do you have to setup gateway of last resort on each router or just the last one in the line before the ISP? Having a hard time getting out of my lab, but I can navigate inside. I have tried it both ways and it does not work for me. So I am trying to trouble shoot and this will help me figure out the source.

John

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    See: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094374.shtml

"Use the ip default-gateway command when ip routing is disabled on a Cisco router. Use the ip default-network and ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 commands to set the gateway of last resort on Cisco routers that have ip routing enabled. The way in which routing protocols propagate the default route information varies for each protocol."

Once you are using a routing protocol, you can just set up the default route on the router immediately before the ISP. The routing protocol should deal with the propagation of the default route via default-information originate or redistribute static (dependent on routing protocol).
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ideally, if you are setting up OSPF routing you would use the "default-information originate" command on your external router. Check out the link below for more information. I believe RIP also supports this command or something similar.

How OSPF Injects a Default Route into a Normal Area  [IP Routing] - Cisco Systems
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a return route to your lab network on your home network? Generally, home routers aren't very good at supporting non-default routing. Some won't support anything except a single default route (ISP) and others might support static routing, but poorly. I had to implement NAT between my Lab and Home Networks to get out.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]