Options

Staying motivated..

zachkenemerzachkenemer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I haven't posted here much, but I wanted to see if I could get some input on managing and staying motivated to obtain my CCNP. I have my CCNA and CCNA Security; however, once I graduated with my associates degree, i transferred to a larger college for my Bachelor's degree. I also got a job as a network technician; however, it doesn't involve a whole lot of Cisco or troubleshooting. I am basically the network admin's secretary and helping a help desk diagnose problems as a level 2 tech, along with making documentation for employees on how to use applications so on and so forth. I want to obtain my CCNP and I recently completed my home lab, have the FLG, and CBT nuggets. After working full-time, trying to complete my college degree, trying to stay healthy, keeping the girlfriend happy... I have managed to watch 3 videos, read 1 chapter and do no labs! I feel like I forgot everything that I read so far.

I'm not trying to whine, but I don't think I will be able to make at least the Route portion by the time my CCNAS expires in 2 years. I am a very impatient person I think and I always can't wait to complete a task, but I feel like I have to handle everything else first, but I don't want to lose years of work from before either. Anyone have any pointers on trying manage my time or stay motivated?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After working full-time, trying to complete my college degree, trying to stay healthy, keeping the girlfriend happy... I have managed to watch 3 videos, read 1 chapter and do no labs! I feel like I forgot everything that I read so far.
    A solid degree, a CCNA, and some experience as a network technician will put you in great shape when you next seek a job. Why not focus on "working full-time, college degree, stay healthy, and keep the girlfriend happy"? Challenge yourself to take away as much from those classes as you can. Get to know the other students. Master the material. Help your professors research their pet areas. That would already be a great accomplishment! A CCNP without routing/switching work experience is of marginal value, anyway. The people you associate with at college can have a much greater impact on your career, believe it or not.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply! Much appreciated! You have a very good point about no cisco experience. Experience does always seem matter more on these job postings.
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    2 years is plenty of time to complete ROUTE. But have you thought about taking your SWITCH exam first? If you're still a entry level networking tech i think the SWITCH exam might be more relevant to your day to day activities.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to obtain my CCNP and I recently completed my home lab, have the FLG, and CBT nuggets. After working full-time, trying to complete my college degree, trying to stay healthy, keeping the girlfriend happy... I have managed to watch 3 videos, read 1 chapter...

You have the desire; you have planned this step a whole 2 years in advance; you have taken time out to assemble a home lab (you probably also have GNS3 set up); you have acquired video material and a textbook; you have made progress in assimilating the material; you are balancing the needs of life, work and study. Don't worry - you seem to be doing fine to me! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    CorzaCorza Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could set a time limit by booking in the test to work towards, but that may just put extra pressure on. With CCNP I have found it manageble to read say one chapter a day. Really they are only 20-30 pages and take 30 mins-45 to read. Give it a week per chapter to really absorb it.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SoundsLike You in a bit the same position as me, its now about 18 months since I completed me CCNP Switch exam, and I just haven't found the time to study for Route.

Strangle enough I was talking about this with the wife last night and need to get back to studying it. Like Below I have put in a chapter a week in to the diary and once I get through the first reading I want to book the exam for 2 months after that.

Must get it done and out the way as I want to get on and do some more Voice and Security stuff.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well i am also like you in a way, but i am even worse because i am stuck at one cert, i am having some trouble trying to focus on my studies a part of my reason is that i am working, sometimes i am finding it hard keep that balance between working and studying and studying at night is just too short for me because i come at home later in the evening. I try and console my during weekends but honestly i just find it hard to commit to my studies. But as for your scenario i think you just have to ground yourself during your weekends and maybe create a timetable if you can to manage your time i know it sounds like some high school stuff but i think it might be a great solution for your scenario. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I do is make trades-offs.
    I eat lunch at my desk quickly, then get in a hour of study.
    I sneak in an hour of study at work.
    I stop going to the gym for 6 months and study an extra 90 minutes.
    3.5 hours a day = almost any cert in a year or two.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OK this has got me going. checked and see I have 9 months to get my next cert and keep my cisco certs alive..

Writing the study plan now :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Writing down you goals is a good technique and has been proven to work.
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Look at the overall picture that is what keeps me motivated right now.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm working on CCNP ROUTE. I have been doing a chapter a day (Up until last week where I came across some valuable, supplemental videos on Youtube). I plan to pick this pace back up. I will have taken 2 months to study for ROUTE. The material is easier than I thought.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Thank you all for posting, I appreciate everyone's opinion! I actually feel a little bit better knowing that other people are in a similar situation or bring a outsider's view on things. I feel like this is very doable, but if it was easy... Everyone would do it.

Thanks,