Options

Boot Camp style?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I might have the option to have my work pay for a boot camp for the CCNP. While I don't believe boot camps are the best way to learn, I certainly don't want to pass up free training..

So that being said, I don't know anything about boot camps, any suggestions? We have a New Horizons close by here, and my company recommends someone called Global Knowledge: Business and IT Training but I have never heard of them.

Anyone have any experience with either or have any recommendations?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    My concern would be this...
    If the company is paying for it, then the may expect results from you out of it, and that may be that they want quickly turned certifications and such.

However, if they are offering it as a means of some 'training' and a perk to their employees, and they are doing so as a means of encouragement and do not expect inflated certifications in return (but have no issue if the employees test and pass and are proficient) GOOD FOR YOU!

It can a good opportunity for you, either as a crash course introduction into something maybe you have not worked with yet, or a recap of something you do work with. In the end, you should benefit nicely from it. If they hope you'll rack up certs so they can obtain different vendor status and you do not gain knowledge, then you do not help yourself a much.

Just ask about it a little and go enjoy the camps.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Mike-Mike - go for it! It's time you converted all that knowledge gained from that potpourri of certs into into one solid advanced level cert! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company offers the same thing with New Horizons. Personally I didn't utilize the training since I have only been with my employer for 3 months (need to be here 6 months to go to training; however they will reimburse for self-trained). I do plan on going to the CCNP Switch bootcamp towards the end of my self-study. Pretty much the bootcamp will be like my final review.
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    My company offers the same thing with New Horizons. Personally I didn't utilize the training since I have only been with my employer for 3 months (need to be here 6 months to go to training; however they will reimburse for self-trained). I do plan on going to the CCNP Switch bootcamp towards the end of my self-study. Pretty much the bootcamp will be like my final review.

I plan on trying to go through Skillport prior to the boot camp, so I can use it in a similar fashion
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    My concern would be this...
    If the company is paying for it, then the may expect results from you out of it, and that may be that they want quickly turned certifications and such.

However, if they are offering it as a means of some 'training' and a perk to their employees, and they are doing so as a means of encouragement and do not expect inflated certifications in return (but have no issue if the employees test and pass and are proficient) GOOD FOR YOU!

I am on Level 1, but I'm about to start training with the Level 2&3 guys, assuming it will lead to a promotion. My hope is this will make them more inclined to promote me

Plantwiz wrote: »
    If they hope you'll rack up certs so they can obtain different vendor status and you do not gain knowledge, then you do not help yourself a much.

The company I work for is an outsourcing company and is loaded with certs already, and is a partner with all the big boys. I'm sure they would like more certs, but it certainly wouldn't be their only motivation
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @Mike-Mike - go for it! It's time you converted all that knowledge gained from that potpourri of certs into into one solid advanced level cert! icon_thumright.gif

Yeah, I'm actually pretty excited about focusing on one area for a change, I'm tired of bouncing from subject to subject
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark