Options

MCITP:EA/SA journey complete

Finished up my EA last tuesday after failing the 647 a week prior. Glad to be done, especially in time before the deadline.

Some poor shmuck out there is going to be one test from completing the EA track and the deadline will pass with him none the wiser. It'll only occur to him once he goes to register for the test, feeling confident, mind you, after weeks of studying, only to find that the test no longer exists.

My heart goes out to that guy but happy to say I won't be like him. I am done!

I've actually been contacted by an IT contracting company looking to fill a position in the middle east. The pay will be around $120k-$130k/yr I believe. Obviously it has its pro's and con's but it's something I am seriously considering.

What's next for me certification wise? Well, I've considered knocking out the MCITP:DBA before the deadline. My mindset on that is if I am going to ever obtain a database cert in the future its going to require 5 exams in for the MCSE:Data platform so I might as well grab the MCITP:DBA and do the upgrade path to make it appear as I have been an administrator for longer. My only hang ups are the time contraints associated with it (3 weeks) and I have 2 vacations planned in between. It would certainly require a degree of dedication that I don't appear to have.

Beyond that I am looking at starting the Masters in Security/Assurance at WGU in the near future. My job situation will dictate if I will be able to start that or not.

Will keep you guys posted. I appreciate the support and words of wisdom.

Good luck to all!
Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
WGU MSISA
Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    kingrobkingrob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! The MCITP qualification is one of the best to have right now.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Tprice, the expiration has been moved to January 2014 just so ya know!

As for Iraq, I work with a guy who just got back from a tour there. He has no MCITP but does have about 20 years experience. They paid him $280k/year so you might be able to get more money if you demand it.

After 2 years he had to get out he said. He would fly to germany on weekends for free just to get out of the middle east. Said it was beyond horrible but the money made it worth it for 2 years.

Average pay for an MCITP is only $75k stateside so its one of the lowest to have, according to a dice survey I saw a couple of months back. Still nice pay but I think CCNP was $98k, and AIX being 101k, etc.
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Congrats! Good luck on the job if you decide to take it.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Had my technical interview for the position in the middle east. Was told I did well and scored an 82 and that my packet would be pushed along. Was a dual interview for a system admin position as well as information assurance. It appears I may need to obtain either the CASP or CISSP before being eligible for the information assurance position which I believe comes with a significantly higher pay grade. So I guess I am going to work on attaining the CASP.
    Since I all ready have a security clearance I doubt processing will take long at all. Also hoping to negotiate a bump in my signing bonus since they aren't spending any money on my clearance. But I guess I could be out of country in a month! But who knows. Was just giving you guys a quick update.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Good luck! Since you already have your Sec+, you're qualified for the CISSP. I suggest going for that since CASP isn't as widely recognized. Just my two cents.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.