Is this bug in production because I am getting it in Packet Tracer

wlind9999wlind9999 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
Practicing with OSPF right now and using a frame relay network. The Frame Relay portion worked no problem however I noticed an issue with a portion of the OSPF commands using Packet Tracer. If I just bring up the interface and not put an IP on it then enter the Router OSPF 1 commands for that network and then go back and assign the IP it works properly. However when I first was monkeying around with it I put the IP on the interface and brought it up and then entered into the Router OSPF commands. When I did this I noticed that the routes were not being distributed throughout the network. I then had to go back delete the IP on the interface and put it back in for OSPF to work properly. Is this something that happens in the Real World? Reason I am asking is that most of the networks I have worked on use EIGRP so I have never come across this.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nope, this is not something that happens in the real-world. Anything that seems "fragile" or "quirky" is more likely to be an artifact of your simulator. Your simulator is enough to pass the exam. If knowing what is "real-world" vs "simulator" is important to you, the obvious best path is to download GNS3, rent equipment, or buy equipment.
  • wlind9999wlind9999 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up. Just thought it was odd. Though it does help my troubleshooting skills. :)