Upgrading RAM/FLASH

osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently got a 2610xm off of Ebay, came with 32mb RAM / 8mb of flash, so I got a 128mb stick of ram and 32mb of flash.

Put them both in and initially the router booted up with "Bus error while trying to access flash, cannot read flash, flash has value of 0". So I thought I had a bad stick of flash, no biggy, threw in the old flash that originally came with the router while leaving the new stick of RAM in. Booted up the router again and it came up with "No system memory found"...I tried both slots for the ram, same thing. Also reseated flash/RAM multiple times.

I thought I had damaged the board/components of the router itself when installing the new memory, but that doesn't seem to be the case because I put the original flash and RAM back in and it booted up just fine... Anyone know of anything else I can try? Seems a little hard to believe both sticks arrived bad.. Who knows..

Comments

• WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Sounds like you're trying to use an incompatible stick. If it's not a 3.3V 100-pin SDRAM DIMM, it won't work.

Upgrading System Memory, Internal Flash, and Boot ROM in Cisco 2600 Series Routers  [Support] - Cisco Systems
  • osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I was reading through the Cisco docs and found that, is it listed on the actual stick somewhere? The exact ones I bought are below, verified with the seller before buying them.

Flash New MEM2600XM 32FS 32MB Flash Memory 4 Cisco 2600XM 2610XM 2611XM 2620XM 2650XM | eBay
    RAM New MEM2600XM 128D 128MB Dram Memory 4 Cisco 2600XM 2610XM 2611XM 2620XM 2650XM | eBay
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    All I can say is: caveat emptor. That eBay link gives zero specs, but the photo is telling: the plastic holder doesn't match the module. A real, new DIMM is packed in a form-fitting holder; it's not supposed to be rattling around. LOL.

Oh well, at least you're only out 20 bucks. :)
  • osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hah, yea, it actually did come in an anti-static bag. I would return them but the dude is in China, lesson learned. Thanks for the help.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have bought RAM and Flash for 2610XM and 2620XM routers from the following ebay sellers with zero problems:

eBay My World - keystronllc

eBay My World - memorymasters
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A couple of things:

1) Never buy from sellers outside the US, especially China. There is a seller in South Carolina who I've bought 1700 DRAM from and never had any problems (eBay My World - keystronllc).

2) Not all routers in a series support the same amount of memory/flash. For example, the 1760 can take a 128 MB DRAM Upgrade [for a total of 160 or 192 depending on when the router was manufactured] and a 32 MB Flash Upgrade [for a total of 64 Mb of Flash.] The 1750 can only take a 32 MB DRAM Upgrade [to 48 MB if I remember correctly.]

The 2610XM is listed as coming with 128MB DRAM and supporting 256 MB of DRAM, coming with 32 MB of Flash and supporting 48. I suspect someone may have downgraded your DRAM and Flash [and either sold the original chips separately or used them to upgrade another router.]

I don't know what chips the 2600 takes, but I remember that some older computer memory (SIMMs?) had to be installed in pairs of the same size. Probably not the case here (I think they use DIMMs anyway), but a thought. A 32 MB Flash may be more than the 2600 can accept. Perhaps, you could try a 16 MB Flash to bring it up to 48 MB?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]