Options

failed the test twice

student775student775 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just failed with a score of 470, i used XXXXXXX and a the book my school supplied me with...

It seems like many of questions that I was told would be on the test were not

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Use a respectable test simulator (dont sell yourslef short by cheating, you shouldnt use any practice test that has real exam questions, have some integrity man), like transcender or preplogic, buy another book, and give yourself at least another good month of studying before you take the test again. The best way to answer your questions is goingto be for you to get your hadn on a box that you can tinker with, and play around with what you just read.

Keep at it and good luck.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    hempyukhempyuk Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just failed with a score of 470, i used XXXXXXX and a the book my school supplied me with...

Dont worry Bro 3rd time lucky

470 not to bad i know its not a pass but its a good fail only 45 marks off thats like 2 or 3 questions.

What Book did your school supply you with??????????
    I would see if you can get your Hands on the CBT nuggets A+ videos (very helpfull)

Hemp icon_cool.gif
    student775student775 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    we used a book by David Groth some pages from mike meyers

Some of the questions that confused me were

the one about how to remove an operating system...
    Is there a way to do this by using a dos command?

There was another question regarding internet cookies or temporary files...
    They are removed when you upgrade certain operating systems or something

can anyone help ???

thanx
  • Options
    gatekeepergatekeeper Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Build a few boxes from the beginning,used hardware if necessary try using diferent operating system vers. do a lot of hands on , take notes and ask questions read the technotes as well, don't be too hard on your self.
    I failed the a+ twice befor i passed it now i'm going for the net + . icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    student775 wrote:

I recommend that you get yourself another book. Pick up a Mike Myers
    book and read it from cover to cover. Get experience messing around different operating systems. Then and only then will you be ready for the A+ exam. Cheating won't get you any where.
    student775 wrote:
    It seems like many of questions that I was told would be on the test were not

Study for the knowledge and passing the exam will naturally follow. Once
    you get a job as an A+ certified computer technician, when you're presented with a problem, you can't say 'but that wasn't on my A+ exam'.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    GOOD LUCK next sit........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Best Help out there is practice. May not be what you want to hear but without some hands-on practice, reading a book will only get a person so far....many times (particularly in IT) not far enough.

Get ahold of some older equipment, set up different OS's want work through different senerios.

It takes time, if you are serious about understanding the material...you'll pass when your ready :)

best wishes
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    yldtoyyldtoy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_sad.gif I got 496 on my first try, it said the pass was 505 does anyone know how many questions i failed by?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Only Comptia will know that answer and they will not say. Sorry.

You're close, give it another go! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Student775, I took classes in college to learn everything for the A+ exams. I knew the book we used (HP IT Essentials I: PC Hardware and Software) from cover to cover, top to bottom. Yet when I took my exams I found alot of the questions to be very tricky and in some cases outright guessing games.

If you pass the exams then you KNOW the material, but just knowing the material won't gaurentee that you pass the exams (i hope you understand what I'm trying to say here). That is why before I took the exams I practiced a couple of weeks with the "Exam Cram 2 A+ Practice Questions" book. This will help alot on those questions that you really need to see an outright answer on.

An example would be "What should a certified technician do when working on the inside of a computer?", and the answers would be "a. wear a grounding wrist strap, b. turn the power to the computer off, c. some tottally wrong answer like cheese, d. another tottally wrong answer like george washington, etc."

In that question both a. and b. are good answers, almost 50-50, so how do you know which one to go with?!?! Thats where the Exam Cram 2 book comes in handy. It even has tips on test taking if you need them.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your next try. Don't give up :)
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    hempyukhempyuk Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get ahold of some older equipment, set up different OS's want work through different senerios.

Firstly I just want to say you don’t need to get loads of old equipment (hemp looks left to see old 486s sitting in bits on the floor)

Get your self a copy of Microsoft virtual PC it lets you install o/s on a computer without affecting your current O/S as MVPC runs all the o/s virtually
    470 not to bad i know its not a pass but its a good fail only 45 marks off thats like 2 or 3 questions.
    I got 496 on my first try, it said the pass was 505 does anyone know how many questions i failed by?

Secondly I used a way that I used to work out scores on test papers it’s not official but what I do is:
    Max score you can get is 900 points
    You get 100 points for completing the test (this is in the A+ exam 2)
    Your exam is 80 questions
    So 10 points for each right answer
    So if you get every question on a test paper right you will get 900

Hemp icon_cool.gif