CCNA failed twice...3rd attempt need some advice

MortzgMortzg Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good evening Fellows!

I just need some advice...I failed twice the composite 640-802 with my scores below:

Describe how a network works Last 38% / Today 63%
Switch and VLAN Last 57%/ Today 71%
IP Addressing Last 67%/ Today 50%
Conf Routers and tshoot Last 69%/ Today 54%
WLAN Last 100%/ Today 100%
Identify sec threats Last 67%/ Today 33%
NAT and ACLs Last 20%/ Today 60%
WAN Last 67%/ Today 33%

So...Im pretty much in a hurry since I noticed the topics are being refreshed, and for me to earn my major this year, I have to be a CCNA.

Ive booked myself a 3rd attempt for august, though Im pretty nervous about it. Im pretty familiar with the exam process and all that stuff, keeping in mind that english is not my main language.

I started working in a Mobile carrier, and Im getting very familiar with VRRP, MPLS, L3 Switching...however I dont feel very confident nowadays.

So, please...any suggestions or piece of advice?

PD. How will the new exam topics and structure will work and take effect?

Thanks!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    What are your study guides? The new exam topics should not affect you since you've booked the same exam before the Sept. cut-off date.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • MortzgMortzg Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, previously I went through Lammle´s, part of the online material, and went through with 31 days before your ccna by Alan Johnson.

I got another book, Exam cram by Jeremy Cioara for the composite.

I feel Im kinda weak in STP, Frame Relay and ACLs...

Do you have a roadmap by any chance? Something short I can follow...

Thanks!
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you considered the 2 exam route: 640-822 (ICND1) + 640-816 (ICND2)?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Have you considered the 2 exam route: 640-822 (ICND1) + 640-816 (ICND2)?

theodoxa has a pretty good idea here. Personally, if I failed the test three times, I would either take a longer layoff to study or go with the two-exam path.

Did you just psyche yourself out on the topics you did worse on this time around? You pulled scores up in some areas, but a greater amount went down.
    I know...

Problem is that Im basically against the clock, I have around 45 days before my test...

Another suggestion?!

Thanks!
    You guys happen to have a small blueprint of roadmap to follow?
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Mortzg wrote: »
    You guys happen to have a small blueprint of roadmap to follow?

The only blueprint here are the exam objectives on the Cisco site. Just keep in mind that the test is phased out come October 1.

You have already taken the exam so you know what types of questions are on it, you need to hone in on the areas you did not do well on.

The one-exam method for CCNA is notorious for time constraints so you need to be able to quickly and correctly subnet.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get CCNA in 60 days by Paul Browning. Go through it, do every lab in PT (or GSN3) and you'll just have to compress some of the days which is actually pretty easy considering many of the chapters are short (by virtue of the topics being basic). I'd even suggest pushing the test it out another 15 days so you can go through the material in the complete cycle, focusing on your weak areas and using the Lammle book to supplement the material.

You still have the time to do the 2 exam route with that plan.

Edit - Just went and looked on Amazon and it's 5 bucks for the kindle version. It's worth it if you are looking for a structured study plan.
    I have 31 days before your CCNA by Cisco Press, an Exam Cram engine, Lammle´s and also I have a nice handbook by The Router Alley, which I think is very complete and covers all the topics.

If any of you have advanced exercises on ACLs, STP or WAN, please share them with me!

Thanks to everyone!!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    What I've done to practice those objectives is bring up PT or physical lab, and just make things up. Add a couple routers/switches and try to configure as much as you can by memory... then add more complex things such as access lists, then ppp with pap and with chap... vs hdlc etc etc.

This way you'll know what areas you are weak on, and can pull the notes/book or guides online to finish.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    Thanks JeanM,

That sounds terrific, you mean like start with a simple topology, adding more and more features and complex configs in order to test knowledge!

Thank you!
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the CCNA exam and failed so I decided to take a step back and decided to go the two test route.
    Here are my suggestions to help you pass.

1. YouTube
    DansCourses - YouTube <-Danscourses A-lot of Packet tracer labs you can follow and it's free

2. Packet Lab - YouTube <--PacketLab Lot's of good material here.

3. Chris Bryant - YouTube Chris Bryant free videos

Subnetting
    1. subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

2. networking-forum.com - Practice Subnetting

Cisco CLI info Labs you can do

1. CCENT Certification All-In-One For Dummies **** Sheet - For Dummies

2.Free Cisco Lab

CCNA Lab Workbook | Free CCNA Workbook

Just remember not everyone gets what they want on the first try. You get what you put in. If you really want this then go for it. I know it's hard to forget you failed the CCNA three times. But I am certin you know more now then you did when you first started! And in the end you will know more once you pass the test then you do now.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
    So guys,

Just came in from a meeting with a friend who is also scheduled to take the composite on September; we discussed some topics which can give us some issues, for instance:

1) Ethernet Tech: reminding all the formats of media.
    2) Wireless: I already took CCNA Wireless course, so it wont be a problem.
    3) Frame Relay: Layers on which FR works, using FR with a routing protocol, reverse ARP.
    4) Routing: Detailed analysis of a routing table, specific information of each routing protocol.
    5) ACLs: HATE'em!
    6) STP: HATE it! Guess ill have to dig a lot into it.
    7) NAT:
    icon_cool.gif IPv6
    9) All the details of the IP header in different stages of comms between point A and point B (source and destination MAC and IP)
    10) VLSM ( do you guys have often used this on type A, B and C addressing?)

We also discussed certain topics that I dont recall viewing on CCNA as:

MPLS
    Routing redistribution
    OSPF areas (stub areas and stuff)
    VRRP

As far as I remember, those are topics of CCNP rite?...

Any advise or comment?!

Thanks guys!

(BTW, by reviewing stuff daily, Im building confidence again regarding my rusty knowledge!)
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mortzg wrote: »
    We also discussed certain topics that I dont recall viewing on CCNA as:

MPLS
    Routing redistribution
    OSPF areas (stub areas and stuff)
    VRRP

MPLS and possibly VRRP (can't remember for sure) are on the new CCNA [which becomes mandatory on October 1], but not the current CCNA. Route Redistribution is not on either. I believe that is strictly a CCNP and above topic. OSPF is covered on both the old and new CCNA, but I believe its only single-area OSPF.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Just finished reviewing danscourses...Magic Number method is awesome.

So next approach will be IPv6 basics.

Using examcram by Jeremy Cioara to review some questions...any suggestions on subnetting and vlsm tests?
    Just to let you know, i bumped into trainsignal courses, good material btw. Im scheduled on sep 9th.

Any comments are appreciated!