Cisco Lab Kit questions/conerns.

JoeBirdsJoeBirds Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good Morning Techexams,

First off I would like to mention that I know there's more than a few threads on this topic but I feel like they don't really cover my exact questions and concerns. I have a few questions and concerns regarding Cisco Lab Kits. I really want to look into purchasing a few routers and switches but I would like your advice on a few areas. I've looked at a few devices on Ebay, Amazon, etc.. but I just don't think that you really get what you see. Some of the pictures aren't even of the actual switch, jut a generic picture of a brand new 2960. I want to know exactly what I'm buying before I hit that purchase button.

If you guys have any advice for me when it comes to purchasing router/switches, please let me know. Also, if you know of a good site to buy these devices, it would help out a ton.

Thanks in advanced,
Joe

Comments

• bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Refine your search to just auctions on Ebay and you will generally see more actual pictures rather than generic. Then you can get a better look at the quality/condition of the switch or if the picture quality isn't that great you can at least email an individual on the other end rather than some company that makes a living selling gear they've never used on ebay.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I've had no issues buying routers/switches on eBay...just read the description and ask questions if you aren't sure. Every time (over 20 devices) I've gotten exactly what I expected or actually in some cases MORE (as in loaded with modules or maxed out on memory etc).
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    I've gotten exactly what I expected or actually in some cases MORE (as in loaded with modules or maxed out on memory etc).

I once ordered some 1750s for the modules, which were worth more than the cost of the router + modules. I figured I would just strip the router and sell what was left for $5 or throw it in a closet. When they arrived, they were 1751s with 2x the memory. I decided to keep them and use them as branch offices.

For the most part, everything I've bought has been as described or better. Most of the time, anything that wasn't as I expected was because I did't pay close enough attention to the description. For example, I bought 2 x 2960 Switches recently and when they arrived, they booted to HBOOT, which is apparently the switch version of ROMMON. I double checked and sure enough it said in the description that there was no IOS on them. I downloaded IOS 15 from Cisco and installed it on both. It was a bit of a PITA because HBOOT [as opposed to ROMMON on Routers which can download using TFTP] apparently can only download using XModem over the Console, which gives you Dial-Up/ISDN (9600 to 115200 bps) Speed vs. TFTP which gives you Ethernet Speed. So, the downloads took 20 minutes [as I kicked the Console Speed BAUD Up to 115200 temporarily]
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    I have to encourage the lazy-man's way: go to a website that sell lab kits (I am biased toward ciscoland) and buy what you need in one lump sum.

You will pay more than what you can find on Ebay; however, you know the devices will work and you get support in case something goes wrong.

Basically, you will pay more out of pocket for getting the convenience of having all the right parts at the same time in one large package.

Obdurate~
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Obdurate wrote: »
    I have to encourage the lazy-man's way: go to a website that sell lab kits (I am biased toward ciscoland) and buy what you need in one lump sum.

You will pay more than what you can find on Ebay; however, you know the devices will work and you get support in case something goes wrong.

Basically, you will pay more out of pocket for getting the convenience of having all the right parts at the same time in one large package.

Obdurate~

I got some good experience from buying on eBay. I learned how to perform a password recovery, upgrade IOS via TFTP, boot and/or install IOS from ROMMON using TFTP, and install IOS from HBOOT using XMODEM. These are skills that I believe every CCNA should know. My only real complaint about XMODEM was the speed. It would have been nice if Cisco had thought to include the ability to assign an IP Address to VLAN 1 so that you could use TFTP to recover from a corrupt or missing IOS [on a switch.]
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]